[Servercert-wg] [cabfpub] Using OV TLS server certificate as TLS client certificates only

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed May 5 12:15:01 UTC 2021

Section 2.2
<https://github.com/eu-digital-green-certificates/dgc-overview/blob/main/guides/certificate-governance.md#22authentication-and-connection-establishment>
states:

/This certificate will be whitelisted explicitly and thus may be issued
by a publicly trusted certificate authority (e.g. a certificate
authority that follows
the baseline requirements of the CA Browser forum), by a national
certificate authority or it can be self-signed./

I'm not sure how this relates to section 4.7
<https://github.com/eu-digital-green-certificates/dgc-overview/blob/main/guides/certificate-governance.md#47dgcg-tls-server-certificates-dgcgtls>
which describes the requirements for the DGCG TLS Server Certificates.
According to the design, the authors claim they need publicly-trusted
TLS server certificates but it's not clear to me where the interfacing
with the public relying parties is described.

I was under the impression that a DGC relying party, one that would need
to verify if a DGC is valid, would be able to submit a verification
query for a specific DGC and would need to submit that to a website
protected by a PTC TLS server certificate. This makes perfect sense to me.

However, if the DGCG TLS Server Certificates are used to secure the
connection with the NB, in a "closed" environment, then it doesn't make
sense to use a PTC TLS server certificate because each certificate will
be manually "allow-listed" anyway.

Dimitris.