[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Re: Ballot SC40v3: Security Requirements for Air-Gapped CA Systems

Mike Reilly (SECURITY) Mike.Reilly at microsoft.com
Wed Mar 31 21:05:01 UTC 2021

Thanks for the update Ben.  I had some additional feedback from within Microsoft to consider when this is brough up again:

  *   In the definition of the Security Support System, the word “reduction” is used. I think the word we want in relation to logging is “retention”.
  *   5.1.6 refers to the “principle of least privilege”.  Is there a definition or discussion of this principle somewhere else in the requirements. Without something to make it concrete, I don’t know how there could be any specific audit requirement  to meet because it is very subjective in nature. Although I totally agree that we should observe this principle because it is a core component of security I don’t know how one can objectively evaluate whether it is observed or not. All of the other requirements listed are easily auditable but this one not as much.

Thanks, Mike