[Servercert-wg] OCSP Responder Requirements for Unexpired, Not-in-Use Intermediates

Aaron Gable aaron at letsencrypt.org
Mon Mar 22 19:33:08 UTC 2021

Ryan,

Thanks for your reply! Yes, your understanding of the question is correct.
In fact, I can narrow the scope of the questions even further, thanks to
our simple issuing intermediate setup.

Our Let's Encrypt Authority X3 (https://crt.sh/?caid=16418) intermediate is
represented by two certificates; one (from DST Root CA X3) has already
expired, and the other (from ISRG Root X1) expires later this year. We
ceased issuance from this intermediate in December of last year, and only
ever issued 90-day end-entity certificates from it, so that all of its
issued certificates would expire prior to the expiration of either of its
certificates.

However, our OCSP responder for Let's Encrypt Authority X3 has still been
receiving small amounts of traffic, querying for the status of expired
certificates. We simply wanted to get a second opinion on the matter before
taking down this OCSP responder, in case there was a requirement we had
missed to keep it active throughout the lifetime (all possible lifetimes)
of the issuing intermediate.

For our practical purposes, the second question is a subset of the first --
we do not issue end-entity certificates which expire after the issuing
intermediate, so an OCSP responder for an expired intermediate is also an
OCSP responder for an intermediate with no unexpired issued certificates,
and is covered by the response you gave above. (Obviously this is not true
in general, but is for our case here.) We were asking primarily to cover
the case where maintaining an OCSP responder for the above case was
required, in order to determine when that requirement would cease.

Thank you again for the reply,
Aaron