[Servercert-wg] Discussion Period Begins on Ballot SC48 - Domain Name and IP Address Encoding

Yoshiro YONEYA yoshiro.yoneya at jprs.co.jp
Tue Jul 13 02:38:07 UTC 2021

Hi Corey,

Thank you for your response and explanation of the background.

I understand what you said, but I'm still feeling that the concept of "P-Label" is too wide and including invalid IDNs (even in IDNA2003, which prohibit registering unassigned code point). Emoji domain names are the case of such invalid IDNs.  I think registering such invalid IDNs is TLD registry operators' fault, and CAs should not provide patchwork to rescure tha fault.

Of course, I understand legitimate and daily used IDNs under IDNA2003 (probably registered more than 10 years ago) should be treated as valid even though we use the term A-label.
This case can be explicitly explained in BR like:
Only exception is that if a label start with "xn--" (case independent) but is not a valid A-label, contains deviation characters defined in UTS#46 can be treated as legitimate.

Best regards,

--
Yoshiro YONEYA <yoshiro.yoneya at jprs.co.jp>