[Servercert-wg] Clarification of CAA requirements for onion certificates

Neil Dunbar ndunbar at trustcorsystems.com
Tue Jan 26 17:26:25 UTC 2021

Wouldn't that be covered by

    "CAs are permitted to treat a record lookup failure as permission to
    issue if:

        • the failure is outside the CA’s infrastructure; and

        • the lookup has been retried at least once; and

        • the domain’s zone does not have a DNSSEC validation chain to
        the ICANN root."

The DNS lookup would fail with NXDOMAIN, and the failure probably isn't
in the CA's infrastructure, and if the DNS lookup failed, that would
also indicate that no valid DNSSEC chain exists (at least, I don't see
DS records for onion in the root zone). I guess to be 100% sure, you'd
need to perform the lookup at least twice.

I guess that, since issuance requirements for onion is specifically
carved out in Appendix B, it might make sense to carve out an explicit
exception for that domain. Although if in a future revision of the
technology, CAA policies could be expressed for onion addresses, I think
we'd want to see those policies honoured, no?

Just some thoughts,

Neil