[Servercert-wg] Reducing Domain/IP Address Validation Reuse to 398 Days

Ben Wilson bwilson at mozilla.com
Mon Feb 8 20:03:39 UTC 2021

Here are my initial thoughts:

In BR Section 4.2.1, add a sentence -  *This does not apply to the
validation of domain authorization or control performed under Section
3.2.2.4 or the authentication of an IP address performed under Section
3.2.2.5.*

In BR Section 3.2.2.4 add, "*For Certificates issued on or after July 1,
2021, the CA SHALL verify that each FQDN is current and correct at
intervals of 398 days or less*."

In BR Section 3.2.2.5 add, "*For Certificates issued on or after July 1,
2021, the CA SHALL verify that each IP address is current and correct at
intervals of 398 days or less.*

Replace in both sections, "In all cases, the validation must have been
initiated within the time period specified in the relevant requirement
(such as Section 4.2.1 of this document) prior to Certificate issuance."
with "*In all cases, the validation must have been completed within the 398
days preceding certificate issuance.*"

Amend BR section 3.2.2.4.6 to remove any exception that would still allow
CA to "continue to re-use information and validations for domains validated
under this method per the applicable certificate data reuse periods."  (The
Method 6 was deprecated June 3, 2020.)

Amend BR section 3.2.2.5.1 and possibly make the Random Value valid for
only 30 days or 60 days because what is meant by "if the Applicant
submitted the certificate request"?  Otherwise, just editing out some of
the existing language it would read something like, "If a Random Value is
used, the CA SHALL provide a Random Value unique to the certificate request
and SHALL not use the Random Value after the longer of (i) 30 days or (ii)
if the Applicant submitted the certificate request, 398 days," but someone
should explain how that makes any sense.

Tie up any other loose ends.  For instance, do we leave the EV guidelines
alone at thirteen months for Domain Names? See EVG section 11.14.3(1)(F).