[Servercert-wg] Update definition of IP Address Contact in the BRs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Feb 4 15:49:14 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 2:24 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) via
Servercert-wg <servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> I would like to propose an amendment to the definition "IP Address
> Contact". Following the example of a "Domain Contact", for consistency we
> should allow a CA to use the DNS SOA record as IP Address Contact
> information.
>
> Current definition:
>
> *IP Address Contact**: The person(s) or entity(ies) registered with an IP
> Address Registration Authority as having the right to control how one or
> more IP Addresses are used.*
>
> Proposed new definition:
>
> *IP Address Contact**: The person(s) or entity(ies) registered with an IP
> Address Registration Authority or in a DNS SOA record as having the right
> to control how one or more IP Addresses are used.*
>
> Are there any objections or concerns with this proposal?

Yes.

IP Addresses do not have DNS SOA records. What you're proposing doesn't
make sense (as specified).

It's also not clear to me the motivation of why. I'm hoping you can
elaborate if there are more concrete arguments in favor other than "for
consistency". For example, an explanation of use cases that are otherwise
unmet without this change, particularly since it'll require careful
language to ensure it does what I believe you're trying to do, but which is
not yet specified to do so :)