[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC40: Security Requirements for Air-Gapped CA Systems

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Feb 4 00:58:46 UTC 2021

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 4:59 PM Jos Purvis (jopurvis) via Servercert-wg <
servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Should add: Ben’s email below formally opens the discussion period for
> this ballot as of 2021-02-02 21:00 UTC, which will conclude 2021-02-09
> 21:00 UTC if no further updates are required. 😊
>

> --
> Jos Purvis (jopurvis at cisco.com)
> .:|:.:|:. cisco systems | Cryptographic Services
> PGP: 0xFD802FEE07D19105 | Controls and Trust Verification
>

> *From: *Servercert-wg <servercert-wg-bounces at cabforum.org> on behalf of
> CABF Server Cert WG <servercert-wg at cabforum.org>
> *Date: *Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 3:26 PM
> *To: *CABF Server Cert WG <servercert-wg at cabforum.org>
> *Subject: *[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC40: Security Requirements for
> Air-Gapped CA Systems
>

> Ballot SC40: Security Requirements for Air-Gapped CA Systems
>

> Purpose of the Ballot:
>

> This ballot increases the security of Air-Gapped/Offline CA systems
> (“Air-Gapped CA Systems”) by clarifying the controls that CAs must
> implement to protect them.
>

> Air-Gapped CA systems (usually Root CA private keys) are maintained in
> highly secure locations, and while they can share certain exterior physical
> controls with online systems, they are not connected to online systems or
> the Internet. Thus, they have different operational requirements and
> controls due to their separate risk profile. While the scope of the current
> Network and Certificate System Security Requirements (NCSSRs) includes
> Air-Gapped CA systems, the current NCSSRs focuses on online systems and
> contains a number of requirements that are not practical to implement in an
> offline environment and could actually increase the risk to such offline
> systems.
>
> As an example, access to offline/air-gapped CA systems frequently elevates
> the risk to the environment. A quarterly vulnerability scan in the offline
> environment is not practical, because there is an increased risk involved
> with attaching a scanning device to such Air-Gapped CA system. Just as
> another example among several, because such systems are not connected, the
> provisions of subsection 1.g (ports and protocols) are not applicable.
>
> This ballot develops a working definition for an “Air-Gapped CA System” to
> allow for a clear delineation between those system components that fall
> under this category of Air-Gapped/Offline requirements and those under
> other requirements. In doing so, the ballot creates two sets of
> requirements tailored to their respective operating environments and
> characteristics.
>
> Not only does this ballot introduce a new section 5, it also adds
> additional physical security requirements for air-gapped CAs by requiring
> video monitoring, intrusion detection, and other intrusion prevention
> controls to protect Air-Gapped CA Systems against unauthorized physical
> access attempts. The new section 5 presents logical security requirements
> in subsections a through m and physical security requirements in
> [...]

Ben,

One thing that struck me while working on the conversion of the NCSSRs to
Markdown was the numbering and structure do make it more difficult,
compared to our other documents.

Would you be receptive to the following changes:

1) Divide "Logical Security of Air-Gapped CA Systems" and "Physical
Security of Air-Gapped CA Systems" into sub-sections (specifically, 5.1 and
5.2)
2) Use "1, 2, 3" instead of "a, b, c" (Yes, this will result in an
inconsistency with the previous sections of the NCSSRs, but will align with
the BRs and EVGs)
3) Remove "n" and "o" from the (new) 5.1; we don't need those placeholders,
as they can be addressed in a subsequent ballot.

I suspect that #3 was a result of not having #1 in place, and so you needed
to reserve space, but as currently structured, introducing any additional
requirements for logical security beyond the two imagined would require
renumbering the entire thing, and that seems silly. That's why I think #1
makes sense and makes #3 easier (as you can and should restart the
numbering in 5.2).