[Servercert-wg] Browser Alignment Ballot - Name Chaining

Corey Bonnell CBonnell at securetrust.com
Tue May 12 10:11:54 MST 2020

> Yes to the point about applying to CAs, although no to the point about aligning across all certificates associated with a CA Public Key. There are CAs that use the same SPKI but with different CA Subject Names, and that's valid and allowed (from a UA perspective and from a 5280 perspective)

It appears there are some still-valid intermediates listed in CCADB whose subjectDN would match per RFC 5280 section 7.1 (RFC 4518) but are not byte-for-byte equal due to differences in encoding using PrintableString vs. UTF8String in different certificates. These would run afoul of the new requirement.

> The encoded content of the Subject Distinguished Name field of a Certificate SHALL be byte-for-byte identical among all Certificates whose Subject Distinguished Name can be compared as equal according to RFC 5280, Section 7.1, if at least one Certificate is a CA Certificate.

Can you expand a bit on the goal of this requirement? I originally thought it was to force a 1:1 mapping of CA Public Key to subjectDN encoding for all CA Certificates, but as you noted that’s not the case.

Thanks,

Corey