[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]Re: Critical Name Constraints (Was: Re: Question on BR 3.2.2.6)

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Wed Mar 4 11:10:10 MST 2020

On 2020-03-04 7:46 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 10:35 AM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA)
> <dzacharo at harica.gr <mailto:dzacharo at harica.gr>> wrote:
>
>     You have added a lot of context to your reply. I've made an honest
>     attempt to answer most of your points to the best of my
>     knowledge/understanding.
>
>     On 2020-03-03 6:54 μ.μ., Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>>     I would be happy to draft a ballot to clarify this, but I believe
>>     Pedro's answer is far closer to what we (Google) expects than
>>     those answers offered by Bruce and Dimitris.
>>
>>     At the very heart of the differing interpretations is this:
>>     - Do the BRs apply to what a CA in-scope can issue/sign; or
>>     - Do the BRs apply to what is issued/signed?
>
>     My understanding all these years is that other sections of the BRs
>     are more related to the former and others to the latter. For
>     example, the end-entity Certificate Profiles are related to CAs
>     in-scope. This means that if a CA is technically capable of
>     issuing a TLS Certificate, it must follow all the end-entity
>     Certificate Profile requirements. A Root CA that is participating
>     in a TLS hierarchy is definitely in scope of the BRs (we even made
>     an update to 6.1.7 to ensure Root Keys are not used to sign
>     time-stamping certificates). Once a Root signs a CA that is not
>     technically capable of issuing TLS Certificates, then in my
>     understanding that subCA is out of BRs scope. Of course, the Root
>     still needs to provide CRLs, OCSP services according to the BRs.
>

> I'm afraid the important distinction I was trying to highlight was not
> realized, then.
>
> Much of your reply focuses on the issuance of end-entities from a
> subordinate CA you've declared out of scope. That's not the
> distinction being made. It's about what the root can sign - that is,
> the permissible subordinate CAs and the expectations.

They are not just "declared" out of scope, they are technically
incapable of issuing TLS Certificates. This is not based on "intent" as
we have seen previously being discussed.

> We've already seen CAs try to cite ambiguity as a reason they were
> able to issue completely unacceptable certificates, such as testing
> certificates, by trying to claim they were "out of scope" since they
> "obviously" didn't conform to the restrictions on SubCAs/Leaves. The
> suggestion of Scope being determined by what is signed, rather than
> Scope being determined by what is capable of doing signing, is the
> fundamental flaw here.

Using technically constrained subCAs (by EKU) to enforce "scope" was a
way to solve the "intent" problem. I fully agree with you that "intent"
is a weak argument that CAs should not use to justify deviations from
the requirements.

>     The current practice used by several CAs is to have a single trust
>     anchor (Root CA) that issues subordinate CAs for different
>     purposes (TLS, S/MIME, Code Signing, Time-stamping, docSigning,
>     etc). Historically some Root Programs have advised against adding
>     multiple Root CA Certificates in their Root store.
>
>     The benefits of completely separate, distinct, hierarchies are
>     very clear in terms of compliance enforcement. However, it is
>     extremely difficult to achieve this separation with the various
>     Root Programs and the time it takes to process Root inclusion
>     requests. The ubiquity problem is also very real, so we would be
>     looking at a long-term transition if we were to follow that route.
>     Perhaps it would be worth discussing and see how supportive the
>     various Root Programs would be to such a change, and also examine
>     possible unexpected consequences in separating those hierarchies.
>

> The suggestion of the root inclusion processing time, and the ubiquity
> problem, are significantly overstated.
>
> CAs can move to explicit transition hierarchies "today" for new
> issuance, nothing prevents that. The ubiquity problem is entirely
> orthogonal, by having cross-certified paths to the 'old' (existing)
> CA, while shifting the hierarchy to a 'new' separation. That is, for
> situations today, where a Root CA does (Root -> Intermediate -> Leaf),
> they can easily, without difficulty, shift to (Root -> Potential new
> TLS Root -> Intermediate -> Leaf, Root -> Potential new S/MIME Root
> ->  Intermediate -> Leaf). Most members in the Forum are perfectly
> capable and regularly do this, as reflected in their own transition
> from old roots to new roots. So let's not conflate the challenge of
> introducing new organizations (by design, difficult) with the
> challenge of introducing new hierarchies (which CAs can do and regularly)

Cross-certified paths are much easier to build and implement in TLS but
quite harder for S/MIME. At least we agree on setting a good practice
forward, where CAs create "clean TLS" hierarchies using cross-certified
paths with older hierarchies. That doesn't quite solve the existing
ambiguity problem, because these "old" hierarchies must be operational,
but in a couple of years we could be looking at native-TLS hierarchies
in the WebPKI.