[Servercert-wg] Critical Name Constraints (Was: Re:Question on BR 3.2.2.6)

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Mar 3 06:09:08 MST 2020

I appreciate the concern, but I disagree that it's well-founded.

Any system that is ignoring nameConstraints has a CRITICAL security
vulnerability. The assumptions inherent here are that we allow looser
supervision and auditing in exchange for the technical assurance of
nameConstraints.

Put differently: If something breaks, *good*, that's the entire point of
why RFC 5280 requires nameConstraints; so that insecure systems fail closed.

If SSL VPN software still has trouble, and finds that critical
nameConstraints are some unreasonable burden, they can easily transition to
issuance off a nameConstrained root (e.g. issued directly by an audited CA)
or transition PKIs.

The only reasonable alternative is to eliminate the notion of "Technically
Constrained Sub CA", and require that the entire hierarchy undergo the same
audit and supervision regime. Given how few certificates exist with
nameConstraints, this is equally achievable, but as I suspect CAs would
more vociferiously raise concerns, I suspect the more pragmatic approach is
needed.

Compatibility with insecure devices and use cases is not a feature we seek
to support. The same is true, for example, of SHA-1, or internal server
names. We know they will break some cases, but that's a feature, not a bug.

My only regret is that we permitted non-critical nameConstraints to begin
with. It would have been far safer for end-users to allow CAs zero
exceptions to the audits, rather than allowing clients to be potentially
exposed to risk, including, at the time, Apple clients (since fixed).