[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC31 Browser Alignment - CRL and OCSP profiles

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Jun 30 14:46:47 MST 2020

I think the strategy outlined is fine for this ballot, but I do find myself rather concerned about CAs blindly putting information from subscribers into the revocation reason.  I have very little confidence this information will be any better than noise, and injecting noise into the signal will only make the signal worse and degrade confidence in what any reason codes mean (since, after all, it may have come from a less than knowledgeable subscriber, and is therefore meaningless).  I mean, what are you going to do when a subscriber specifies CACompromise?

For “revocation requested by subscriber for reasons other than key compromise”, I can see an argument for CessationOfOperation, but even in the absence of a compliance obligation, I think it’s important that even if the revocation is initiated by a subscriber, revocations are performed by CAs, and CAs should not include revocation reasons that they do not know to be accurate.  Simply blindly trusting the subscriber’s assertion seems unhelpful to me.

-Tim