[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC31 Browser Alignment - CRL and OCSP profiles

Corey Bonnell CBonnell at securetrust.com
Mon Jun 29 06:25:03 MST 2020

> For example, if a CP/CPS said "The Subscriber may request, in writing or via programmatic means, for the CA to revoke the certificate. In such cases, the revocationReason SHALL be cessationOfOperation, unless the Subscriber provides a more specific revocation reason.", that would meet the above, right?

Actually, I’d think that such an attempt by a CA to comply with the requirement by default specifying “cessationOfOperation” unless informed otherwise by the Subscriber would be several steps back in terms of the stated goals:

1.	cessationOfOperation would become the new “unspecified”, except that cessationOfOperation is actively misleading as it excludes the possibility that revocation was due to keyCompromise. I’d think that having a default of “no reason”/unspecified is less misleading/confusing, as it does not exclude the possibility that the reason for revocation was keyCompromise.
2.	The reasonCode of “cessationOfOperation” will be encoded in CRL/OCSP responses by default, thus no reduction of the number of bytes on the wire will be realized in the common case.

Can you point to the existing Root Program Requirement for this tightening of the end-entity revocation information profile in the BRs? I’m hoping that by reviewing this requirement it will be easier to suggest clarifications in the proposed language of the ballot.

Thanks,

Corey