[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC31 - Browser Alignment

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Mon Jun 29 04:28:06 MST 2020

Hello Clint,

It’s unlikely you will find broad CA support for the ballot as written.  A few CAs have chimed in already with their concerns during the discussion period.  The “Browser Alignment” ballot has fallen off the rails because some of the included changes go above and beyond “browser alignment”.

To respond to your first question below about how failed ballots get re-addressed:  If a ballot fails, more discussion can happen and the fundamental reasons for why the ballot is needed can be discussed.  If this still fails to get consensus within the CA Browser Forum and the Certificate consumers/Browsers/Root programs want it, then they can add it to their root program.  Remember, the BRs are those set of requirements that the majority of the Browsers AND CAs agree to – this is NOT the Root Program Baseline Requirements.

And to answer your second question, “what role does the CA/B Forum play in ensuring those root programs can rely upon participating CAs to adhere to their individual root program policies”, the answer is easy: None.  The BRs and the WebTrust audits of those requirements have no view into or enforcement of Root program specific requirements directly.

Clint: Ever since you announced the 398 validity requirement in Bratislava, I asked you (publicly and privately) for documented reasons for the change and especially that it be added to the published Apple root program policy as an official Apple approved requirement.  It’s now been 4 months and the Apple program [1] has not been updated, and the announcement [2] is still not clear that non-compliance is considered a misissuance.  We’re driving the entire industry change on a set of emails and meeting notes without solid justification or a referenceable policy (even an official blog) that web site administrators can view to understand this change.  This was, imo, a poor way to make such a sweeping industry change, especially since just a few months prior the ballot to limit validity periods failed by a wide margin.

The right way to update root policies it to have an open discussion, much the way Mozilla does when they plan to update their Root policy.  A pull request is created against their detailed policy with a reason for the change, it’s discussed on a public mail list, them Mozilla makes the decision they feel is best for their community. The result is included in their Root policy with a compliance date and CAs are notified of a new policy release. While CAs may not agree with the results, it’s an open process.  The result is a unique DOCUMENTED requirement that CAs must comply with.

Each year (or so) Mozilla, via the CCADB, sends out checklists or related CA Communications asking CAs to verify their compliance with some or all of the Root policy (generally focused on recent important changes).  Mozilla uses this to verify compliance with their policies.  Combine that with the WebTrust/ETSI audits against the CAB/F suite of requirements, they receive assurances that CAs comply with their root policy.   Mozilla also has a robust misissuance tracking system to track misissuance events with their policy or the BRs.  Apple should implement/document a similar approach for their unique program requirements so reported non-compliance can be discussed in an open and transparent forum.

GlobalSign intends to vote NO on the Browser alignment ballot for 2 major reasons:

1) 398 day validity is not part of any formal, documented Browser Root policy.  Including statements in F2F meeting minutes, or sending emails on lists is not a sufficient documentation of a Root policy, imo.  Microsoft and Mozilla have excellent and clear Root policies and don’t rely on supplemental emails to fill out any missing pieces.  Clint, don’t take this the wrong way , but if it’s such a challenge to update the Apple Root policy formally, then are we all sure that this is the Apple corporate position? If Apple mandates and endorses such a change, then certainly it should not be that hard to have it clearly articulated in the Apple Root policy.

2) The CRL/OCSP profile changes are not part of any Root policy, yet they are included in the Browser Alignment ballot.  Based on discussions between Ryan and Corey, there are remaining open questions about this as a new topic and a new change the BRs.  This ballot was supposed to be collecting some of the common Root requirements into the BRs to help improve the BRs and not as a backdoor to add new requirements.

Doug

[1] https://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/ca_program.html

[2] https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211025