[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC31 Browser Alignment - CRL and OCSP profiles

Corey Bonnell CBonnell at securetrust.com
Thu Jun 25 13:11:46 MST 2020

> I think the goal is to make sure we have meaningful reasons, when possible. If a system encourages folks to use "unspecified" (or, more specifically, omit reasons), that seems a step-back. If there's a "whatever the subscriber says goes", then there's a worry that CAs processing problem-reports would then request the subscriber to request revocation, and *not* select keyCompromise, particularly if compromised keys require special handling by the CA (e.g. cleanups & clarifications).

I don’t think we can get away from trusting what the Subscriber says though. For example, if a Subscriber asserts their key was compromised because their web server was popped and the machine was wiped, there’s no way for the CA to confirm that the key was actually compromised. In the case of affiliationChanged, a Subscriber might revoke their certificate using that reason code and move to another CA to get the replacement certificate. Is the original CA now obligated to verify if any subject organization information in the certificate actually changed to confirm it is the correct reason code?

> If a `reasonCode` CRL entry extension is present, the `CRLReason` MUST indicate the most appropriate reason for revocation of the certificate, as defined by the CA within its CP/CPS.

Having CAs define the semantics of the reasonCodes in their CPS sounds reasonable. However, absent stated expectations on the amount of investigative work that CAs must do to ascertain the correct reasonCode for end-entity certificates (whose meanings are generally not well defined in the first place), the safest bet to avoid non-compliance for CAs is to never supply any revocation information for end-entity certificates. But I agree with you that is a step back.

As an intermediate step, for the end-entity certificate reasonCode case, could we walk back the “MUST” to a “SHOULD” for specifying the most appropriate reason until the requirements for end-entity reasonCodes are better fleshed out? This would still give CAs an incentive to populate the reasonCode, but not necessarily create a non-compliance event by failing to meet unstated expectations.

Thanks,

Corey