[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC31 Browser Alignment - CRL and OCSP profiles

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Jun 25 10:31:00 MST 2020

On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 1:26 PM Corey Bonnell <CBonnell at securetrust.com>
wrote:

> > The intent here is that the CA defines this, and what they define, they
> follow. I agree that there's an opportunity to improve the consistency
> across CAs, but I think similar to SC30, or past work (e.g. CAA), the first
> step is to permit CAs to work through their policies as to what most
> appropriate means, based on the criteria they define and the guidance
> within RFC 5280 and, where appropriate, ITU-T X.509.
>
> Many CAs provide the ability for Subscribers to revoke their own
> end-entity certificates and supply their own reasonCodes with no manual
> intervention by CA support personnel.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. This is really useful feedback!

> In attempting to fulfill the “MUST” for selecting the most appropriate
> reasonCode, is the expectation that CAs must now work with the Subscriber
> on a per-revocation basis to determine the facts and circumstances
> surrounding the revocation to arrive the most appropriate reasonCode? Or
> can CAs continue to allow Subscribers to select their own reasonCodes
> (presumably from an acceptable subset of reasonCodes that can be chosen
> from)?

I guess a question here is if a key is compromised, does the CA allow the
customer to *not* specify that reason? I'm particularly interested in the
case where the CA is informed (e.g. via a problem report) of the compromise.

Figuring out how that is handled is, I think, important to figuring out how
best to answer your question :)