[Servercert-wg] Question on BR 3.2.2.6

Clint Wilson clintw at apple.com
Thu Feb 27 16:32:42 MST 2020

Hi all,

Our interpretation of this is that a Name Constraint dNSName which contains a preceding ‘.’ requires one or more additional labels to match the name constraint, while a Name Constraint dNSName which contains no preceding ‘.’ allows zero or more labels.
For example, if a CA with a name constraint of “.example.com <http://example.com/>” issued a cert for “example.com <http://example.com/>”, valuation would fail, while a cert issued for “www.example.com <http://www.example.com/>” would pass.
If a CA with a name constraint of “example.com <http://example.com/>” issued a cert for “example.com <http://example.com/>”, valuation would pass, alongside a cert issued for “www.example.com <http://www.example.com/>” passing too.

Thanks,
-Clint