[Servercert-wg] Final Minutes for Server Certificate Working Group F2F -November 5 2019

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Fri Feb 7 01:07:09 MST 2020

These are the final minutes of the Server Certificate Working Group
meeting that took place on Tuesday 5 November 2019.

*Attendees:* An Yin (iTrusChina), Andreas Henschel (D-TRUST), Aneta
Wojtczak-Iwanicka (Microsoft), Arno Fiedler (D-TRUST/ ETSI ESI), Atsushi
Inaba (GlobalSign), Ben Wilson (DigiCert), Bi XinLong (CFCA), Chris
Bailey (Entrust Datacard), Clemens Wanko (ACAB'c/TÜV AUSTRIA), David
Moeller (Sectigo), Dean Coclin (DigiCert), Dimitris Zacharopoulos
(HARICA), Du Zhiqiang (GDCA), Dustin Hollenback (Microsoft), Edwin Zhai
(TrustAsia), Enrico Entschew (D-TRUST), Eva Van Steenberge (GMO
GlobalSign LTD), George Chew (PrimeKey), Hongquan Yin (Microsoft), Jack
Zhang (DigiCert), Jeff Ward (WebTrust / BDO), Jinta Nakamura (SECOM),
Kirk Hall (Entrust Datacard), Leo Grove (SSL.com), Liu Lei (GDCA),
Mariko Kusakabe (GlobalSign), Mike Reilly (Microsoft), Miwa Yoshida
(GlobalSign), Nick France (Sectigo), Nik Khairul (eMudhra), Ning Yu
(iTrusChina), Qiu DaWei (CFCA), Ralph Zeng (TrustAsia), Robin Alden
(Sectigo), Rollin Yiu (TrustAsia), Scott Rea (DarkMatter), Sun Luwen
(iTrusChina), Sun ShengNan (CFCA), Sunny Qiu (iTrusChina), Tadahiko Ito
(SECOM), Tim Hollebeek (DigiCert), Timo Schmitt (SwissSign), Tomas
Gustavsson (PrimeKey), Trevoli Ponds-White (Amazon Trust Services),
Tsung-Min Kuo (Chunghwa Telecom), Wei YiCai (iFutureCA), Zhang Yi
(CFCA), Zheng Huitao (SZCA), Sissi Lok (Trust Asia), Curt Spann (Apple),
Devon O'Brien (Google), Janet Hines (SecureTrust), Li-Chun Chen
(Chunghwa Telecom), Ryan Sleevi (Google), Tim Callan (Sectigo), Vijay
Kumar (eMudhra), Wayne Thayer (Mozilla).

The Antitrust statement was read.

      Network Security Subcommittee

/Presenter:/ Ben Wilson (Digicert)
/Note Taker:/ Mike Reilly

Ben: Pulled up Ballot 20 (System Configuration Management) draft to
review it as a group. Discussed the use of subgroups to the committee in
order to work on specific items. One is the “pain points” such a
subgroup could look at might include 1) changes to the current language
and 2) how does our proposal improve the situation or not and 3) what
are the effects when it’s incorporated into audit requirements. The goal
is to have the language less open ended so CAs don’t circumvent
controls. On the last call they discussed section 1H and came to a
consensus that this section is really about configuration management and
that a CA should know what configurations are approved and actionable
for a particular change. Changes should be monitored, and a CA should be
able to detect problems/security issues. Section 1H is not only about
simple change management but also about CA ability to monitor and
respond to issues. Language of the two sections is the language is very
common and some folks saw 1H as only change control. Group wants to make
this section language clearer to meet the intent that a CA review change
impact prior to the change vs. monitoring the change weekly for issues.
Moving to change the language to be continuous monitoring vs. weekly
monitoring. Goal was to have continuous monitoring to better detect
issues. Current ballot would remove the language from section 1(h) and
move it to section 3(a) which covers review period of configuration
changes. New language would include that a CA should continuously
monitor, detect and report problems from a change. If, while monitoring,
CA personnel determined changes violated the CA’s security policies they
would then be able to take appropriate corrective action in a timely manner

Dimitris: Has the subgroup discussed how this would be accomplished and
provided a good example of it in practice?

Ben: Talked to members of the subgroup but none were present on the
call/meeting to answer this specifically.

Dimitris: We need to add a specific example to make it easier to
understand the requirement.

Robin: This should dictate some automated system to detect/respond to
the change.

Dimitris: We would need to define what we mean by a system e.g. DNS
config, any Linux box in the system, any software in the system.

Robin stated system was meant to be security systems but that could
include all systems in theory

Ryan: From previous discussion of SC20 what is an example of something
that was forbidden before and is now allowed? He gave an example of
someone who changes the username/password for DNS and redirects the OCSP
responder and a CA would not be able to respond for three days.

Ben: We tried to address this by talking to preplanning requirements vs.
post deployment response.

Ryan: Waiting for three days while things are down would not be acceptable.

Dimitris: Ryan’s example may not be a good example as a password change
would be planned prior to change.

Ben: We looked at adding a new section to cover process of change
controls and approvals.

Ryan: This language makes the BRs more permissive and clearer. He wants
to clearly see an example to illustrate how the change would take place
under the current language and how it would take place after this change
of language. We have a potential where section 3A and section 3G
language may conflict and cause confusion.

Ben: Dimitris, did we answer your question?

Dimitris: Not quite. With current language the DNS interface could or
could not be in scope with the CA’s issuing service but it could be in
scope for CA operations. Not sure the language is designed well enough
so that any CA reading it would include the DNS interface in the
monitoring system.

Ben: One of the thoughts from the discussions was that with all the
systems you could potentially have 1000’s of data points to monitor and
would it be too much to manage.

Robin: Is the language/change making things better or worse? Certainly
not worse.

Ben: Ryan sees 3 days to respond as unacceptable.

Ryan: We’re eally trying to look at what this change really means and is
internally consistent. Section 3a has timeline conflicts potentially
with other sections. He doesn’t have strong evidence if 24 hours or 3
days is best and the goal here is to make in unambiguous as to what is
expected. Currently some timelines conflict with each other.

Ben: Should we add another section on governance of change control?

Ryan: Do we have language on changes outside of the change control window?

Robin: Yes, that’s what we are talking about here. How to have
continuous monitoring to manage changes.

Ben: It’s obvious we need to do some more work on this as there are
challenges in terms of scope and implementation.

Robin: Is that correct? Ryan is asking for clarification and examples so
it may not be necessary to go back to the drawing board. He wants to
understand what we get with the changes so he can understand it as well
as others.

Ben: At high level the changes don’t seem problematic but as you dig
into it you begin to see challenges in the practical implementation. For
example, what are the effects when it’s incorporated into audit
requirements?

Robin: Thinks this is auditable and walked through how you would see
evidence of a good change control process with monitoring, detection and
response practices.

Ben: Proposed as next steps to look to make Section 3A more consistent
with Section 3G. There may be a way to take what we are working on in
Section 3A and improve Section 3G.

      Validation Subcommittee

/Presenters:/ Tim Hollebeek (Digicert), Wayne Thayer (Mozilla)

/Note Taker:/ Eva Van Steenberge (GlobalSign)

4 topics that have taken up all of the time since the Greece meeting.
Summary for those who don't follow the subcommittee on a regular basis -
Tim went back over all the emails

*/Spring cleanup ballot/* (one of the very first emails after Greece -
recently came back up again): don't want to spend too much time. From
time to time for various reasons, minor errors sneak into BRs, things
like spelling mistakes, bad references, other minor errors.  Not worth
the entire ballot process to fix a bunch of them. For a long time this
was preventing them from being addressed. A year and a half ago, we had
a spring cleanup ballot that fixed a bunch of them. There's been a bunch
more spotted since then. Running a Github branch with a list of these.
Various people have stepped in to keep that moving recently, for which
Tim was grateful. Draft ballot - Tim recommended people reading it. It
should be ridiculously non-controversial. It is not supposed to change
anything, not changing what the BRs mean, it is just supposed to fix
stuff that is either accidentally put in there or erronious. There is
one other change that we discussed at the Greece F2F: lots of old
compliance statements and obsolete text that is being removed. Examples:
compliance dates that have passed and therefore the requirements are not
operative anymore. You can simplify it by removing the compliance date
and the original requirement. As per Wayne: Intend on starting to vote
on the ballot today. Hopefully it is in good shape. Be aware that this
is going on.

*/Finishing the work of the Validation Summit /* - specifically the two
methods that remain, method 6 and method  10. In March 2018 there was a
suggestion to do a complete review of all of the domain validation
methods to make security improvements. When we removed “any other
method”, the goal was to document what the existing pracitces were.
There was less focus on the detailed description of the existing
validation methods. It was thought that these needed another review to
look at security improvements over existing practices. That process is
coming to an end now, another thing that is a good thing. There's two
that remain: Method 6 and method 10.

*Method 10* - has been waiting for the TLS ALPN draft to get through the
IETF process. IETF process is not fast. IETF draft has been submitted to
ISP for publication - this is the very last step before becoming an
RFC. Should be out in RFC “soon” - usually measured in months. We may as
well wait for the RFC number with all the finialized text, it will be
easier to just refer to that version. So this is on hold until that
happens.

*Method 6* - DNS based validation. A little bit quiet over the last two
months or so as other topics were taking over the group's time. Doug
recently submitted anohter draft of the method 6 ballot. Tim would
encourage members to pay attention to this draft. Some very good
discussion on the list in the last couple of days about potential
changes to this ballot.

  *
    Required website content is no longer a defined term. And a couple
    of other notes. Will be more of a formal ballot once the discussion
    finishes.
  *
    So it is not accidentally mirrored in 404 messages.
  *
    Successful http response - one of the new things that were added.
    Another defense mechanism against 404 messages.
  *
    There is a philosophical discussion about whether it is  “an
    authorization domain name” or the authorization domain name“. The
    general consensus it that it should be “the” authorization domain
    name, meaning the domain that you are actually validating at the
    time.  There is a bunch of options which it could be, but during the
    process of validating a domain you pick one and validate it.
  *
    PKI Validation vs ACME (bit of a complicated one):

 1.
    Under well known or ACME. This is another one that causes a bit more
    discussion. There have been some discussions about the ACME
    challenge and the PKI Validation. Some people have implementation of
    PKI validation that are not based on ACME, so we should keep that at
    this time. There is a potential security problem if you have an ACME
    client talking to a non-ACME server or vice-versa, since they are
    not intended to work with each other. The best result that they
    could get is that they would just blow up and not work together
    successfully. There is a potential that they could work together in
    an interesting and surprising way. Since there is no upside in
    allowing the two to attempt to inter operate when they shouldn't, it
    is a general good security practice to make sure that client and
    server pairs that are using different protocols can;t talk to each
    other, just to make sure that bad things can't happen.
 2.
    Trying to get rid of the language that says “or any other URL as
    designated by IANA”. An alternative, instead of saying use these two
    URLs, if you're using the well-known ACME challenge URL, you are
    actually following the RFC 8555 ACME protocol. And if you're using
    the well-known pki validation URL, then that indicates that you're
    using some other method 6 compliant DNS validation method.  That causes
 3.
    Does RFC 8555 have all the goodness that is included in the current
    method 6 requirement? It was pointed out that there are a couple of
    things that are missing there, so it looks like there is a little
    bit more work to do on specifying what it means to do method 6 using
    ACME and keep all of the goodness that we had from the improvements
    from the validation summit.
 4.
    What that does mean is that if anybody is doing the ACME validation
    on the validation URL or if they are doing traditional method 6
    validation on the ACME challenge URL (which Tim hoped nobody is
    doing), we are going to have to look and make sure that that isn't
    going to cause any problems. Just noticed a couple of days ago and
    might still cause a bit more traffic. It may catch some people's
    implementation out.

  *
    Access via http or https. Accessing a file via http is fairly
    straightforward. You get a response back, that's it. Via https:
    there are other concerns you might have, for example: what set of
    certificates do you use, what https options do you negotiate. https
    is a lot more complicated. Since we allow http, the general feeling
    is that most of those things don't matter. But we should at least
    think about it and see if that it true.  If that's what we want to
    say, we should say it so we won't have a discussion about it later.
    Dimitri: as far as the validation is concerned, it doesn't really
    matter. There are challenges, but if it is a successful connection,
    then it should be okay. Tim: that seems right. Intuitively, yes, but
    it is worth thinking about.
  *
    Authorised ports - that's another important one.
  *
    What should we do about following redirects? There are some
    concerns. Rich redirects (that involve java script) - requires that
    validation system uses a java script engine. This is a bad idea and
    we tried to outlaw that. There's a bunch of requirements: follow
    only server-side redirects (300 ones). Just for the purpose of not
    having validation engines go off and deep loops and potentially have
    a denial of service: follow 10 or fewer redirects. Follow only
    http/https redirects. Follow only redirects via authorised ports. So
    redirects cannot break the other requirements. Previouslre
    requirements weren't clear.
  *
    Random values: relates to lifetimes and things like that. For ACME
    the requirements aren't actually in the RFC.
  *
    Method 6 might have two little baby methods: one to cover the
    traditional method 6, and one to cover ACME.
  *
    Standard note about wildcards (we should probably have a discussion
    about this one, a lot of people are not happy about it) - it is in
    method 6 for consistency since it is in all the other ones.

*/LEIs in certificates/*: Mr Wolf participated in the discussions. Tim
thanked him for his participation, which was very useful for getting his
perspective. Fundamental disagreement, and it doesn't look like either
side is going to move on this issue. if someone wants to review and sees
a path that could be productive, please bring it up. Right now, there's
two camps, and both had the opportunity to state their case. We may just
need to have a ballot. Dean: According to one side, Gleif has not made a
case of why these are needed. According to the other party, having LEIs
in certificates causes harm to certificates/ecosystem. it seems like
everybody is talking over each other. No concrete assessment on either
of both issues. There's those two pieces of disagreement, which are
holding this up. Is that a fair assessment? Kirk: Not a fair assessment.
It's not just GLEIF, there are also CAs who want it as well. Tim (to
Dean): Not an unfair summary. Dean: Given that status, maybe it is worth
one more round of emails, here's the two disagreements. To have each
party substantiate their position. If they can't get past that, than
maybe Tim's right and a vote is where this goes.

      Default Allow/Deny Discussion

/Presenters:/ Wayne Thayer (Mozilla)

/Note Taker:/ Ben Wilson (Digicert)

Wayne presented five slides to introduce the topic.
https://cabforum.org/wp-content/uploads/Default-Allow-Versus-Deny-Discussion.pdf

Slide 1 - Is the Default Allow or Deny? The discussion started on the
Server Certificate email list with Subject Name for CA certificates with
someone pointing out that there are CA certificates with subject names
with contents not set forth in the BRs. Slide 2 - When something isn’t
specified, is it allowed, prohibited or something in the middle? Wayne
argued that when the BRs and Guidelines were drafted, the level of
attention to this issue wasn’t there with specificity. CAs argue that
anything not expressly prohibited is allowed because it allows for
flexibility. Browsers argue that anything not expressly permitted is
forbidden. Slide 3 - One example is BR 7.1.4.2.2, which permits
additional subject attributes in subscriber certificates, whereas EV 9.2
limits the list of subject attributes in EV subscriber certificates. The
section on root CA certificates doesn’t say anything on whether
additional fields can be added. This was not addressed in Ballot 199.
Many CAs have interpreted this to allow additional fields.

Slide 4 - Another example, taking this to the extreme, is that the BRs
don’t talk about cross certificates, so there is an argument that they
are distinct from subordinate certificates, but are cross certificates a
form of Subordinate CA? Yes.

Slide 5 - Potential Solutions - One idea is to look for ambiguities in
the guidelines, resolve them, and then apply default deny. For example,
Adriano asked earlier today about the audit requirements for delegated
third parties and discussion revealed there are different sections of
the BRs that seem to contradict each other.

Another idea is to live with ambiguities and change them as they arise.
As Tim has said, requirements are requirements and we have to interpret
them as best we can. This approach would be to not apply a default-deny
rule across the board.

Wayne opened the floor for discussion.

Ryan said that when we have a list of enumerated items, that requires
clarifications. Some of the lists are enumerated in paragraphs and can
be ambiguously read and some of those need to be cleaned up. This occurs
in Section 7 in certificate profiles. Ambiguities need to be addressed.
And when we have an enumerated list, can it be added to? That one
deserves some resolution.

Wayne said the examples he presented are amenable to fixing with an
enumerated list approach. We could go through the BRs and make it clear
either that anything else is allowed or anything else is prohibited.

Tim said that trying to deal with this through rules for things like
enumerated lists are going to run into problems and unintended
consequences. Typically, people have something in mind when they write
lists like this and whether you can do anything else. For example, the
work we did on elimination of “any other method” – that was the
validation requirements, where we have said CAs can do this or not. We
went through the consequences of removing it and it took time to fix
everything up. Those included steps of things that CAs do, but nowhere
in there does it say that CAs must document how things are done for the
benefit of auditors—that is something that is just assumed. So, some
things are often left out of the BRs. There are places in the BRs that
were not intended to be exhaustive lists. There are other places where
they were intended to be exhaustive lists, but they vary. The solution
is to put in the BRs what the intent was, but it’s not a good approach
to come up with new ways of interpreting the BRs in a way that they were
not intended to be interpreted. There are ambiguities and places not
written as tightly as we would like to have. So, we should work together
to fix up some of these holes and put tighter default-deny rules in
place where they make sense, but I don’t think it can be done by
adopting a new strategy for interpreting the BRs.

Tim and Ryan disagreed on whether enumerated lists could be treated
across the board as default-deny.

Ryan said he didn’t see any other approach than to treat enumerated
lists as default deny. We cannot say that when it’s convenient an
enumerated list allows anything that holds, and when it’s inconvenient
it’s because it says it’s explicitly allowed. Ambiguities are things
that are difficult, which we should set aside for a second. If there is
an enumerated list of things you are expected to do, and you do
something else, that should be a trivial answer. Otherwise, we have
defeated the need to have any requirements whatsoever because we have no
assurance what a CA is actually going to do. So, we have to read
enumerated lists as requiring everything that is enumerated. So, we need
to look through enumerated lists and see if there are areas where CA
discretion is permitted and how do we want to resolve that discretion,
such as, do they need to disclose in their CP/CPS how they exercise that
discretion. When we generated the transparency requirement for local
laws, we said you have to say how you do it. With an enumerated list of
steps you must take, if you don’t do it, you must be out of compliance
or there is no point in having a list. And we should look for
ambiguities, which should be brought forward.

Ben – it depends on how we define what an enumerated list is. What do we
mean when we say “an enumerated list”? For example, we might have places
where it says, “CAs can do the following” or it might say, “These things
include: ….” When those forms are used, it doesn’t mean the list is
exclusive. It’s a general rule that you don’t have say “including, but
not limited to” because the latter part is redundant, unless we’re
saying now that we have to go through the BRs and do that.

Wayne – we’re essentially saying the same things. We need to go through
and look at all of the lists in the document to determine whether it is
ambiguous and whether it allows other things or not. It maybe that doing
that on every list becomes ridiculous, and that we need to have some
overarching statement in the document, but the preference would be for
every list to stand on its own.

Dimitris – In reference to this discussion I looked at section 1.1 in
the BRs and noted it says they describe a “subset of requirements” that
a CA must do. From a CA’s perspective, I thought this means that we
would add requirements in our CP/CPS or add regulatory requirements that
we need to follow unless there is a specific prohibition in the BRs, but
I can see the perspective of browsers.

Mike – I look at the BRs as setting a rule of “default deny” and prefer
whitelists as opposed to blacklists, and the more the guidelines and
enumerated lists can stand on their own, the better, (so we don’t have
to explore the history behind them, etc.).

Ryan – Reading the BRs and taking a default assumption for whatever
profile we’re dealing with – and then working to build … Adriano’s email
is a great example. It mentioned something that was not clearly
permitted. So, it is desirable to start with an assumption that there
are restrictions, then good, if you want to make things more restrictive
as Dimitris mentioned. Then there is the example of one CA that issued a
man-in-the-middle certificate because they didn’t see an express
prohibition, despite the requirement to validate the domain name. So
reading the requirements as default deny aligns with how WebTrust treats
things, assume that it isn’t being done, and then build evidence that it
is being done, or assume that it isn’t permitted by the BRs, and then
build evidence that the BRs allow it. It also helps to double check by
discussions with the CAB Forum to make sure your conclusions are correct.

Robin – I agree that ambiguity is bad, and we should narrow it down, but
the fear is that given that the lists of requirements work in slightly
different ways because they’ve been drafted by different people and that
they’ve been understood differently over the years, the danger is that
if we now introduce a presumption of default-allow or default-deny
without also looking at the language around it we change the
requirements by introducing that assumption. So we should go through
these lists and make sure we understand them and then crystallize and
clarify them so they cannot be misunderstood in the future and so that
we have removed the ambiguity. I’m in favor of removing ambiguity but
not by adopting a presumption.

Dimitris – I agree with Robin

Trev - I think we all agree that the guidelines should stand on their
own and that eventually there should be an interpretation of default
deny, but the issue is whether they should be done in one fell swoop or
take them on one by one. Since we’re in agreement we should just pick
one of Wayne’s proposals.

Tim – The biggest concern I hear from other people is that you do have
to go through all of this. The sections are different. Certificate
profiles should be handled one way, whereas other sections talk about
other things and should be handled other ways. It’s a false choice to
treat everything as either default allow or default deny. Take the
introduction section, for example, which is explanatory text. Both
interpretations lead to a false choice and non-sensical interpretations.
For example, that every QWAC has to be revoked within the next 24 hours
because it includes a QC statements extension which isn’t allowed by the
BRs. A philosophical change about how to interpret the BRs is fine, and
cleaning up ambiguities is fine, and we can prohibit freedom where
freedom is dangerous.

Ryan – QC statements are permitted, so that is not a good example. We
are saying the same thing, but there are two parts – how do we move
forward, Robin seemed to warn us to be careful. We should be moving
forward. There is a dangerous default to the status quo – if we’re not
seeing resolution, then we’d need to work out one-on-one with each CA,
and that doesn’t scale. I want to see us making more progress.

Wayne – The concern that I’m hearing is that if we suddenly say
everything is denied if not it’s not expressly allowed, then the same
sorts of problems we’re concerned about with creative interpretations
causing things that shouldn’t happen. With ambiguities and applying a
rule of default-deny it could be that we prohibit the issuance of
certificates to individuals, because it could be read a certain way. Or,
on the other hand, as we saw with serial number entropy, we saw a large
number of certificates or CAs who have done something that is
prohibited. That’s the hesitation.

Ryan – There is weird stuff, and we need to make progress with the weird
stuff. We’re not wanting to turn off the lights and give everyone
candles. We should look at the pile of ambiguities. We should read the
BRs as if they are default deny—either now or as an end state.

Curt – I recommended that CAs look through what they are doing, identify
ambiguities or things that might not be permitted, and bring forward
their list of ambiguities.

Trev – CAs should read the guidelines and identify them, but it needs an
owner and no one is volunteering. So, it seems like we zeroing in on
option 2.

Dimitris – what about sections that are entirely empty, does that mean
that those things are prohibited? Also, where is it clear that QC
extensions are allowed?

Ryan – It’s in section 7.1.2.4. It seems like approach number 2 is a
path forward, but how do we measure progress? Do we have a summit at the
next face-to-face? How do we move forward without leaving the status quo
of ambiguity?

Wayne – We can’t wait to address things as they unfold. We need to move
forward. We need some structure and a subcommittee working on it, and we
need a summit meeting.

Trev – Agrees with Wayne. Not sure what committee should be responsible.
I question whether a summit has rigor and structure to get this done.

Ryan – Agree. But when things are presented as a ballot, people pay
attention. Not suggesting that, but would like to know what are the
reasonable timeframes. We have subcommittees that live on for two years,
etc., but we need have CAs come forward with a list of issues. We need
something to incentivize people to do the work.

Mike – We need a subcommittee. We as browsers look at it as default-deny
today.

Tim – Not the validation committee. For instance, Section 9.7
(disclaimer of warranties) is not within scope of our expertise.

Robin – Respectively disagreed with Mike that correct approach is
default deny.

Mike – That’s how we look at them.

Trev – What I heard from Mike is that when he read them, he assumed that
they were default-deny, and that is where he was going. He wasn’t saying
that from now on he expected all audits and progress in the future
without changes to be.

Mike – nodded in agreement

Dimitris – The question could be for all root store operators. We do not
expect a default-deny interpretation with regard to the current BRs.
What are the other root store positions? What is your interpretation
from now on?

Wayne – Conceptually, default-deny is correct. I’m not willing to say
that everything I read in the BRs, from Mozilla’s perspective, are
default-deny because we know that it won’t be reasonable to interpret it
that way. I think I’ve heard a reasonable path forward, but someone
needs to charter a subcommittee. I’m sure someone in each CA has
sufficient familiarity with the BRs to participate and contribute. We
ought to start going through the BRs methodically.

Dimitris – So is it the consensus of the Server Certificate Working
Group to create a subcommittee and/or have a summit to discuss this topic?

Trev – Do both.

Mike – Holding a summit meeting and creating a subcommittee would be
important.

Dimitris – Should we send out an invitation for additional interested
parties?

Tim – I think we don’t need interested parties—we will have the right
persons in the room. The summit would be all of one day of the F2F meeting.

Ryan – My idea of a summit would be that folks do their homework and
come prepared to discuss things that need to be done. I don’t think we
need to wait for February, but practically February seems right. We need
to do this work sooner rather than later and not spend summit time
figuring things out, but people should come more ready.

Dimitris – Any other discussion?

Dean – Who has action items?

Dimitris – Do we need a subcommittee?

Group – Yes.

Dimitris – I will send an email to the list to charter the subcommittee.