[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC20v2: Configuration Management

Neil Dunbar ndunbar at trustcorsystems.com
Tue Feb 4 10:55:31 MST 2020

All,

I began a conversation with Ryan thinking that it was to the list as
well. Apologies for that. In order to allow others to comment on the
changes I created a PR at https://github.com/neildunbar/documents/pull/1
- by all means review and comment as you see fit.

Ryan replied with some suggested changes, and I replied back per the
text below:

So here's my (not altogether well worked out) thoughts.

We're not assuming "reasonable" people doing any interpretation here -
we're assuming an almost pathological desire to twist the normal
meanings of words to the advantage of the reader. So, is decoupling the
multiple usage of the word "change" here going to have the effect we all
want? Can we not also assume that someone would re-interpret the word
"modification" to mean "those artifacts described within our change
management process"?

In which case, it strikes me that we could retain "configuration
change", but codify it as "Configuration Change", with a definition
which says something like "Configuration Change: alterations in
transient or persistent data which have the effects of changing the
programmed behaviour of any computer system as and when said system
reads the altered data". That should then halt any creative
interpretation of what "change" means.

Which then might make it easier to define "Change Management Process" as
being "Change Management Process: A protocol describing the reasoning,
description, authorisation, predicted and observed (post-facto) effects
of any proposed or actioned Configuration Change". That then orders the
notion of "Change Management Process" as something which depends on
"Configuration Change", meaning that our perverse adversary cannot rely
on the phrase "Change Management Process" to give meaning to
"Configuration Change"?

Would that have the effect desired? Or does it have other side effects
which are equally undesirable?

Neil