[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC39: Definition of Critical Vulnerability

Neil Dunbar ndunbar at trustcorsystems.com
Tue Dec 15 17:27:23 UTC 2020

Ryan,

Sorry I didn't have time to address this earlier.

Some observations on the points below. Under the old definitions, over
2020, there were 3024 vulnerabilities [*] disclosed at CVSS 2.0 level
7.0 or higher; under CVSS 3.0, there would be 7385 High Level or
Critical levels to address (ie, >= 7.0). This represents a significant
increase in the number of vulnerabilities which would need  to be
patched in the 96 hour window.

Now - I know that not all of those vulnerabilities would actually be
present in many CA systems, but it's reasonable to conclude that
maintaining the 7.0 threshold for CVSS 3.0 would probably double the
patching workload on CAs. That is not necessarily a Bad Thing: but it is
something which CAs would need to consider in adopting/rejecting this
ballot.

In order to keep the number of vulnerabilities (more or less) the same,
the equivalent CVSS v3.0 threshold would be 8.8: in 2020, there were
3065 such vulnerabilities disclosed. Perhaps that would be the
appropriate level to set the trigger for 96 hour patching? Agreed, it's
diverging from what the CVSS 3.0 ranking calls "Critical", but should
that be a significant concern? At least it would cover everything which
is considered "Critical" by the rest of the world, and also includes a
lot of "this is very, very serious" issues.

Of course, to make the thresholding neutral we could adjust it to be
CVSS 2.0 >= 7.0; my concern is that there are several CVSS 3.0
vulnerabilities which are rated critical (>= 9.0) which have a CVSS 2.0
of < 7.0. In other words, we would allow what the world considers a
"patch now" scenario to be a "patch within 6 months" one. It's not a
step _backwards_, but it does seem like a missed opportunity to step
forwards.

At the very least - can we agree that changing the URL to point to the
correct definitions is uncontroversial?

 From a structural standpoint: I agree wholeheartedly that a markedly
improved remediation strategy, aligning with high quality threat
modelling, is what we should be aiming for (and it's why NetSec has a
threat modelling thread in its deliberations). That will need to form
the bases of future ballots.

Just some thoughts,

Neil

[*] My capture of the NVD was done a week or so ago - so it'll be a bit
out of date.