[Servercert-wg] Time to restart ballot voting?

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Tue Apr 21 01:11:12 MST 2020

On 2020-04-16 7:11 μ.μ., Jos Purvis (jopurvis) via Servercert-wg wrote:
> It sounded the last time around like the hold-up on ballots was getting them through legal review by the various members.

Other than the Bylaws or Charter ballots, we never had legal challenges
in other ballots. Legal reviews are usually done during the IPR review.
The challenges during the COVID-19 period, as discussed during the
previous weeks, are usually the change of priorities and difficulties on
getting the technical/policy teams together to discuss some more
"complicated" ballots.

Some CAs also had the Easter holidays.

> One possibility would be to create an informal "legal review period" at the end of the discussion period that would freeze the ballot text and allow for an extended legal review by members. Since it's an informal period it wouldn't lock out changes (just discourage them), but it would allow additional time for members to have legal teams review ballots before the voting period starts in earnest.
>
> That might look something like this:
> 	1. Standard discussion period of N weeks takes place, ballot language settles to something that looks "voting ready".
> 	2. Ballot proposer "heartbeats" an additional two-week discussion period to keep the ballot alive, but declares a "legal review period" during which members would be expected to take the ballot as it stands to their legal teams for review. This would function as a normal discussion period, so any changes brought up would require restarting at the top of the process, etc.
> 	3. Assuming the additional discussion period completes without any further changes, the ballot could proceed to a standard voting period without further ado.
>
> This wouldn't involve changing any of the rules, since it would be an informal declaration, but at least it would buy the time it sounded like members were looking for to review ballot language before the fixed-length voting period starts.

As explained, I think we usually allow at least 14 days for discussion
when it comes to ballots related to Bylaws and big charter updates.

Best regards,
Dimitris.