[Servercert-wg] Compromised keys

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Thu Apr 16 13:09:38 MST 2020

CAs generally do not have private keys, so their ability to misuse such a service is limited.  However if you have any misuse cases that you think are useful in the design of such a system, I’d love to hear them.  I’m not a big fan of bad actor CAs myself.  In fact, as you correctly point out, CAs can currently revoke certificates for a wide variety of reasons, some of which we have serious concerns with.  So even a bad actor CA who has access to private keys of subscriber certificates cannot do anything that they cannot already do today.  If they want to revoke a subscriber certificate, they can do so WITHOUT access to private keys or having to demonstrate compromise.  A reliable method for reporting key compromise and banning issuance for compromised keys would avoid having to rely on revocation to reduce risks from certificates that never should have been issued.  That said, revocation does have it’s place, and I’m encouraged that some browsers are making serious progress on that issue instead of continually complaining about its unreliability whenever it comes up.

Also, one of the things that’s least useful for discussion is calling other people’s contributions not as useful, and trying to steer the discussion elsewhere.  Discussions about nailing down the problem statement and scope are always useful, but there are lots of other useful and interesting topics to discuss on this topic since it is a bit more complicated than it first appears.  It’d be best to openly discuss all possible solutions, including their advantages and disadvantages for various participants, as that can provide useful input for focusing on problem statements where we can actually make some progress.  Such broad discussions are actually helpful in promoting broad participation in finding a solution, and then we can see where we can go from there.

-Tim