[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC29v3: System Configuration Management

Tobias S. Josefowitz tobij at opera.com
Wed Apr 15 05:45:38 MST 2020

On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, Neil Dunbar via Servercert-wg wrote:

> I suspect that this reply will be a bit disappointing to you; the minutes of
> the fuller discussion can be found on:
> https://cabforum.org/pipermail/netsec/2020-April/000326.html

When taking in the (preliminary) minutes on this topic from the NetSec
meeting on 2020-04-02, I think in addition to Neil's excellent conclusion:

> In conclusion, then, I think that the text of the ballot does allow
> automated updates from the vendor or mirror, but I think that the
> description of the change control process would need to be considerably
> more documented than a mere "we just patch when Red Hat pushes a patch".

We should probably say that the text of the ballot *isolated from
everything else by itself* does allow automated updates from the vendor or
mirror in the sense that it does not explicitely prohibit it.

To progress with SC29(vX) we probably have to answer a few seperate
questions.

First of all, are 1h and 3a really the place to explicitely prohibit
automatic/unsupervised system updates from a vendor? The current 1h
requires a weekly review of configuration "to determine whether any
changes violated the CA's security policies", with SC29(v3) we instead
require a change management process and that changes follow the change
management process (and fall back on 3a for technical
enforcement/monitoring).

The CA's security policies could at this point be just as arbitrarily bad
as the change management process (and it's results) required if SC29(v3)
was adopted.

So maybe the question of whether to allow unsupervised "security" updates
is not strictly related to SC29(vX).

Yet, whether unsupervised "security" (or other) updates are acceptable is
certainly a good question. My very own first impulse when the notion came
up in Bratislava was "no, just no". I had not even considered the option
that somebody would even consider this appropriate (in CA context).

Then again, larger parts of the security circuit will emphasize a lot how
important - in general at least - swiftly applying security updates and
patches actually is, and in fact whenever I hear an organization bring up
their "patch management" it certainly gets my eyebrows raised and more
often than not leaves me, admittedly, somewhat disappointed.

CA context is not just any context, I would certainly hope and hope to do
my part in making sure that CA systems are managed by some of the most
qualified personnel there is to be had, and in the best and most secure
ways possible. This obviously includes knowing every detail of the system
(state), having an overview of changes applied over time, and so on.

Certainly, providing my own repository with contents controlled by me is a
handy building block to such an approach, and probably is the default
approach here.

However, maybe one could indeed argue - as in fact Dimitris has - that by
having good logging, monitoring and alerting about unsupervised security
updates, and by having personnel following up on these in due time, that a
CA may have an equally good grip, overview, understanding and control of
their systems.

Fundamentally, this approach introduces a time of uncertainty during which
systems will be in a state not fully tracked by CA perrsonnel. Maybe
fundamentally, that's not acceptable. On the other hand, fundamentally,
requiring approval of "security" updates does introduce a delay to when
patches and "security" updates are applied, however with certain levels of
staffing this delay can be reduced to the "minutes" range.

Assuming it took (for some CAs) maybe 6 hours until staff can look at
security updates, would we prefer security updates were applied or not
applied in the meantime? Or is the very first problem with this scenario
anyway that 6 hours is much too long regardless?

Tobi