[Servercert-wg] Spring is here. So is a cleanup and clarification ballot

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Apr 2 08:15:53 MST 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 9:12 AM Doug Beattie <doug.beattie at globalsign.com>
wrote:

> Ryan,
>

> The clean-up ballot is a good idea and I agree with the vast majority of
> your changes.
>

> For the Browser Alignment ballot, we need to be careful that we don’t
> apply rules to all Roots which are only driven by one Root program.  CAs
> *may* have roots embedded into a subset of all programs and we don’t want
> one Root program’s rules to necessarily apply to all roots in all programs.
>

> One example is ECC P-521.  This is permitted in Microsoft but not by
> Mozilla, so it should not be added to the clean-up” ballot unless MS
> changes their program.  Even then, some other programs may permit this and
> depend on it in some cases (although I have no proof this is the case).
> Same goes for changing the maximum validity period to 398 days.  We might
> consider pulling a root from the Apple trust store to permit issuance of 2
> year certificates for customers that don’t need to support Apple products.
>

> The same goes for signing algorithms.  It might be the case that some
> regions (China?) wants to use different algorithms not permitted by Google
> and Mozilla, but that other root programs do support and where a WT audit
> is needed.  Again, I don’t know of a specific case, but let’s be careful
> about which items we pull from the root programs and make mandatory for ALL
> root programs.

I can understand and appreciate your point, although isn't this a question
for the other Root Program(s)? That is, by having this in a Ballot, and
having it in the BRs, we can allow Root Programs to decide whether or not
they want to align. I think we've heard plenty from CAs where having
alignment is beneficial and useful, especially for audits.

I think the goal here should be to pull every individual item from
individual root programs, and look to make mandatory in the BRs. If there
are Root Programs who disagree, then certainly, removing from the BRs is
possible. However, that does run the risk that such requirements won't be
audited, and thus we will continue to see bifurcation of the requirements
and the potential introduction of additional audit obligations (for
example, a CA needing to provide both a WT audit and an AUP audit in order
to satisfy a Root Program)

In that sense, the best way to avoid that scenario is to place the most
stringent requirements within the BRs themselves, and allow individual Root
Programs to identify exceptions. That's because, as you note, a CA can't
comply with all members' Programs if using P-521, so it makes sense to
highlight that in the common profile.

In any event, I'm definitely looking for feedback from other Root Programs
regarding this. My goal is to ensure that the WebTrust for CAs / SSL
BRs+NetSec and that the DVCP profiles continue to be useful across the
industry, and to provide the necessary assurance (by themselves) for as
many root programs as possible.