[Servercert-wg] Spring is here. So is a cleanup and clarification ballot

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Apr 1 14:13:36 MST 2020

No, this isn't an April 1 prank. I've gone through
https://github.com/cabforum/documents/issues and tried to address the
outstanding issues we have there around cleanups and clarifications.

On the latter point, the intent of a clarification is first and foremost
"Clarify an existing /implicit/ requirement by making it /explicit", and
then secondarily "Clarify the logical consequences of an existing
requirement".

I realize some of these may be more or less exciting, so I've crafted a
draft pull request in my repository first, to allow discussion and feedback
prior to kicking off a proper ballot. This is to allow folks to review and
discuss the shape of things first, and to find co-sponsors.

Note that there are other draft ballot similarly looking for feedback
and/or co-sponsorship, so I'm including the full list here:

   - https://github.com/sleevi/cabforum-docs/pull/10 - Browser Alignment
      lifetimes now that https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211025 is
      published, as well as possibly being updated for Mozilla Policy 2.7.1
      (depending on when discussions may begin)
   - https://github.com/sleevi/cabforum-docs/pull/11 - Agency of
   Registration / Agency of Incorporation disclosure
   - This was discussed on the 27 Feb Validation Subcommittee call, as
      reflected in the minutes
      <https://cabforum.org/pipermail/validation/2020-March/001417.html>,
      and attempts to keep forward momentum in building better consensus and/or
      understanding on appropriate data sources.
   - https://github.com/sleevi/cabforum-docs/pull/12 - Spring Cleanups and
   Clarifications
   - Saving the best for last. This is what this message is about.

In each of these, I tried to include the rationale and/or reference within
the commit messages. You can click the little "..." expando next to any of
the Commits (on the main view or on the Commits tab) to read more details,
supporting links, and documentation.