[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC23 v3: Precertificates

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com
Tue Oct 29 09:06:44 MST 2019

Thanks for the clarification.

Bruce.

From: Wayne Thayer <wthayer at mozilla.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 12:01 PM
To: Bruce Morton <Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com>
Cc: CA/B Forum Server Certificate WG Public Discussion List <servercert-wg at cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL][Servercert-wg] Ballot SC23 v3: Precertificates

It sounds like you are asking for an effective date for a "MAY" requirement, and I'm arguing that effective dates are only relevant for "SHALL" or "MUST" requirements.

Here's how I described the need for a future effective date with the original ballot language:

I think the concern here is that some CAs have interpreted the current section 7.1.2.5 as placing no OCSP requirements on precertificates (because they are not within the scope of the BRs because they are not certificates). With the new language, this argument becomes mirky (because we remove the statement that precertificates are not certificates). Hence the assertion that this ballot does place new requirements on CAs and thus should include a reasonable effective date.

So the need for an effective date was driven by the change to BR 7.1.2.5 in the original ballot. That section is not changed in v3 of the ballot.

I agree that CAs will need time to make the change, but since the language is "...MAY provide definitive responses about "reserved" certificate serial numbers..." there is no requirement for them to do so by the effective date of the ballot, or ever (at least as far as the BRs are concerned).