[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC23: Precertificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Oct 28 10:21:18 MST 2019

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 10:53 AM Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com>
wrote:

> One other point is the Mozilla root policy already encompasses pre-certs
> as certificates. All certs containing a server-auth EKU are considered
> certificates under that policy – there’s no exception for pre-certs.

Jeremy, this is not correct.

It's statements like these that add to the confusion, which is part of the
problem.

Full stop: Mozilla Policy does not treat Precertificates as Certificates.
The m.d.s.p. discussion concluded as much.

Rather than discuss how they are treated, which I worry will add more
confusion, I'll simply point the conclusion. Making this easier and clearer
for CAs is the "second problem", which, for clarity, it seems we should
decouple.

> So you already have the case where at least one browser policy treats
> pre-certificates = certificates…. Although the application of Mozilla
> policy is not as clear cur as you’d think since 2.3 of the policy says it
> applies to all SSL certs. A pre-cert is not really a SSL cert with the
> poison extension so the BR application is carved out even if all other
> requirements still apply.

Note: This coda is not correct either, but we don't need to get into it,
because it's premised on something incorrect.