[Servercert-wg] Subject name requirements for CA Certificates

Paul Walsh paul at metacert.com
Wed Oct 23 15:14:14 MST 2019

On Oct 23, 2019, at 11:46 AM, Ryan Sleevi via Servercert-wg <servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 2:32 PM Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) <dzacharo at harica.gr <mailto:dzacharo at harica.gr>> wrote:
> In the absence of any rationale to limit only a countryName, organizationName and commonName field in subjectDNs of CA Certificates, I propose we create a ballot that clarifies the expectation to include stateOrProvinceName, localityName, organizationalUnitName and perhaps organizationIdentifier, along with their validation rules (we already have good rules for those fields), and add a clause that other fields SHALL NOT be present.
>
> As I mentioned, we're not supportive of this.

[PW] When you say “‘we’re' not supportive of this", is it safe to assume that you are referring to Google? Or are you you speaking on behalf of all browser vendors? Absolutely no sarcasm here.

If you are referring to Google, what do other browser vendors think?

I note from the group website that Opera, Microsoft Cisco and Apple are “Internet Browser Vendors” members. Are they still actively involved? I’ve been an onlooker to this forum for a long time but only joined as an “interested party” as I felt the need to offer my participation, so it’s possible I haven’t been on the receiving end of their participation.

Are there any plans to encourage participation from other browser vendors? What about innovative browsers like Brave and others that are taking market share from the incumbents? Collaboration with vendors that are likely to become a dominant leader is best encouraged while they’re on the rise, not when they’re on top.

Regards,

- Paul