[Servercert-wg] Subject name requirements for CA Certificates

Man Ho manho at certizen.com
Tue Oct 22 21:41:27 MST 2019

Hongkong Post's cross-certificate is created because of the rollover of the existing Root Certificate to a new Root Certificate. Some browsers have not yet included the new Root Certificate into their root certificate program. So, it is used to build another chain of trust back to the existing Root Certificate for subscriber certificates that are issued under the new Root Certificate. Both Root Certificates are owned and hosted by Hongkong Post, i.e. the same Root CA.

By the way, it is interesting to see that by definition of Cross Certificate in the BR:-
Section 1.6.1 Definitions of related terms:

Cross Certificate:   A certificate that is used to establish a trust relationship between two Root CAs.

Publicly-Trusted Certificate:  A Certificate that is trusted by virtue of the fact that its corresponding Root Certificate is distributed as a trust anchor in widely-available application software.

Root CA:  The top level Certification Authority whose Root Certificate is distributed by Application Software Suppliers and that issues Subordinate CA Certificates.

Root Certificate:  The self-signed Certificate issued by the Root CA to identify itself and to facilitate verification of Certificates issued to its Subordinate CAs.

Subordinate CA:  A Certification Authority whose Certificate is signed by the Root CA, or another Subordinate CA.

Hongkong Post's cross-certificate should not be considered as Cross Certificate because it is used to establish a trust relationship between two Root Certificates, not two Root CAs. And both Root Certificates are owned and hosted by the same Root CA. Is my understanding correct?