[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC23: Precertificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Oct 22 18:45:41 MST 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 9:15 PM Kirk Hall <Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com>
wrote:

> Yes, good faith is always intended, and I believe you also are also acting
> in good faith.  I already responded to Jacob, but I can tell you that the
> normal rules of statutory construction are, any reference in a law (e.g.,
> requirements) to an external rule or standard controlled by others does *
> *not** normally change automatically if the external rule or standard
> changes.

I'm not sure the relevance of this information to the Forum or its
activities, or to the Ballot in question. While it is interesting trivia,
it is neither useful nor relevant to the activities here. At best, we're
developing a technical document that may inform auditing criteria.
Technical documents regularly incorporate, by reference, other technical
documents. The concern you raised, of documents changing, is not relevant
to the proposal you were discussing; however, technical documents changing
to the latest version is not by any means untowards. For example, note
Section 2.2 of the BRs, which require CAs state and describe an adherence
to the latest possible document, which precludes any reconciliation or
syncing.

As this seems further off-topic, it sounds like we're in agreement that
your concerns with referencing RFC 6962 are entirely unfounded; the BRs
reference external documents extensively, and RFC numbers are themselves
version numbers.

Were there other concerns unexpressed and unaddressed?