[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC23: Precertificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Oct 22 16:57:00 MST 2019

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 7:44 PM Wayne Thayer via Servercert-wg <
servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> I'm posting v2 of this ballot because without it the discussion period
> will expire and the ballot will fail. V2 adds language required to prevent
> conflicts with ballot SC24, but does not otherwise change the proposal.
>
> It's not clear to me how to proceed with this. It seems that the endorsers
> are happy with the current ballot, but others want to limit the change to
> section 4.9.10. So far, no one has proposed specific language that both
> accounts for all of the nuances of this issue and is considered to be
> easily understood. Unless specific alternative proposals are made, I'm
> inclined to proceed to a vote on the current proposal.

Wayne: Dimitris' change works for me in only tackling the half that CAs
were most concerned about.

Rob, Jeremy: Could you check if
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/2019-October/001244.html addresses
the immediate concerns raised?

My only concern is whether the "as described in RFC 6962" would be seen as
Default-Allow or "Default-Deny". For example, could a CA argue a serial
number is associated with a Precertificate that doesn't comply with RFC
6962 is fine? That'd be nonsense, but I'd hate to see that argument made.

I'm not sure if "as specified in RFC 6962" is any more restrictive against
that interpretation. A more restrictive requirement would say "The
Precertificate, and, if used, the Precertificate Signing Certificate, MUST
comply with the requirements defined in RFC 6962.", but then that's awkward
as "Note", if someone wanted to argue that "Note's aren't requirements"
(despite the MUST).

There are other gotchas, worth identifying but not worth fixing (for
example: what if the Precertificate was for a sub-CA? What about returning
"good" for non-issued certificates from a Root CA?). The 'intent' is, I
believe, that Subscriber Certificates and Subordinate Certificates differ
in the timeline, but all OCSP responders have the same expectation. But
that's for a different Ballot.