[Servercert-wg] Discussion Begins: Ballot SC24: Fall Cleanup

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Oct 22 13:27:42 MST 2019

The fact that existing Definitions make a mistake is not justification for making that mistake worse, especially not in a cleanup ballot which isn’t supposed to change anything at all.

If Test Certificates really is Abandonware, then yes, the appropriate remedy is to remove the definition, not modify it.

With respect to 7.1.3, this is a difficult topic, which is why I didn’t have language, though I’m happy to try to help craft it.  The existing language has fairly limited (and unfortunately complicated) scope, and for the purposes of a cleanup ballot, I think we should keep those scope restrictions, even if a ballot to simplify the issue by just outright banning the practice might make a lot of sense.

This is all complicated by the fact that SHA-1 certificates are fairly unique in the sense that “the certificate contents that were signed may not be the actual certificate contents that are trusted.”  I probably could be convinced to go along with an expansion of what would normally be allowed in a cleanup ballot, especially if we can come up with clear, concise language that is easy to understand and interpret.  But I think the existing text is overbroad.

-Tim