[Servercert-wg] Subject name requirements for CA Certificates

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Tue Oct 22 12:23:41 MST 2019

I agree with you on:

- You can use that old Root to sign your new Root.

- You cannot use your new Root to sign your old Root.

But I don’t agree that you should “punish” CAs that have Roots created prior to Ballot 199 (and compliant) by not permitting them to cross sign those Roots with even older roots in order to establish a logical root migration plan. Roots included into multiple Root stores should be able to create cross certificates, and I’m willing to help refine the BRs to more clearly specify how Cross certificates should be treated by proposing the set of changes (and probably others) listed below in this email.  It’s important we explicitly state how to handle Cross Certificates, and I believe there are some requirements that apply to Subordinate CAs and not to Cross Certificates.

If we took that approach (make the BRs more clear on the requirements for Cross Certificates), would Google be willing to permit continued creation of Cross Certificates provided that both of them are in the Google and/or Mozilla trust store(s)?

Since Outlook is truly horrible in supporting in-line comments, I marked my comments with [doug] below.

Doug