[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC23: Precertificates

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Fri Oct 18 08:44:28 MST 2019

For Problem 1 – One issue I’ve always had is if a pre-certificate is not considered a certificate, then how is it governed by the baseline requirements? It no longer qualifies as a certificate intended for TLS authentication in that case and thus the CA should be following the RFC instead, meaning the only thing that controls is Mozilla policy and the RFC. I don’t see a conflict because the BRs no longer apply since they remove themselves by calling a pre-cert not a cert.

Problem 2 – This one seems pretty well established from the Mozilla forum and related incident reports. Is there still confusion? Is the only objection SC23 related to problem 1 or is problem 2 still an objection?

I’m curious why there’s a need to separate the two problems since problem 2 seems pretty well established based on historical precedent.