[Servercert-wg] Removing the exception to allow non-critical name constraints

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Oct 16 18:08:23 MST 2019

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 8:28 PM Wayne Thayer via Servercert-wg <
servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> I agree with all of this except for the implication that we should go
> ahead without at least asking for more information.

Oh, I totally agree, I wasn't wanting to suggest we go ahead without asking
- and waiting - for more information. I just want to make sure we're
discussing it, and that we're also figuring out what the *objective* measure
is/should be. That's why I wanted to push back on "significant usage" -
objectively, that's a little suspect.

So if we can find a way to make it clearer what, when, and how, I think
that's a net-positive here, even if it's not exactly 6 months. The issue is
that we don't have any clear path, and at least when currently read, you
can reasonably argue it's not permitted now. Since avoiding those
disagreements of interpretation is an important overall goal, I wanted to
try to find something clearer and objective that works for everyone, such
as a clear sunset in-line with the available and relevant data.