[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL] Ballot SC23: Precertificates

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Thu Oct 10 17:01:22 MST 2019

Wayne, a simple question – I see that Ballot SC23 has RFC 6962 overriding RFC 5280 – so 5280 will *still* prohibit two “certificates” from having the same serial number (such as a certificate and potentially a pre-certificate), but 6962 will separately say “ignore that part of 5280”.  We though 5280 was so important before that we passed Ballot 134 to say a pre-certificate was *not* a certificate under 5280, but your ballot removes that statement.

Is this normal?  Does IETF allow that, or should we instead seek to amend RFC 5280 to clarify that a certificate and per-certificate are allowed to have the same serial number?  (I know on other issues in the past we have been told that we *can’t* proceed unless we go back to IETF and amend some RFC that prohibits or regulates some action – if it’s as easy as drafting another RFC that says “you can ignore Section X of this prior RFC” then wouldn’t that create confusion?

Anyone looking at RFC 5280 might not know of RFC 6962’s amending language, and so still believe two certificates are not allowed to have the same serial number.  Shouldn’t we focus on changing 5280?  Should we ask IETF officials for their opinion?

Kirk