[Servercert-wg] Displaying secure sites to Internet users

Christian Heutger ch at psw.net
Mon Nov 18 09:00:56 MST 2019

Hi Ryan,

you’re welcome to provide input and suggestions on how to get the fundamentals running and then we can also talk about UI indicators. You point out, that you believe, they are not working and there are incidents, which show, there is room for improvement. But I haven’t read yet anything on about what to do exactly. You see pain points at CA interpration of the requirements, so then work on getting them more clear, you see baseline requirements are too loose, then provide better requirements, you see audits as been unreliable, then provide an audit scheme and model, which is working better, etc. You see UI indicator of EV doesn’t work, then provide thoughts on how to improve. Maybe there could be an extra step, seeing DV as currently reliable but lowest validation level (beside for sure no validation at all), current EV as a mid way and work on the best way, EV 2.0

Regards,
Christian