[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC17 version 2: Alternative registration numbers for EU certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Mar 18 11:11:59 MST 2019

Hey Tim,

If you opened it as a pull request against either your fork or the BRs, I
could more easily comment. I left a number of in-line comments in
https://github.com/cabforum/documents/commit/afdb167170ded32eae0508a796ebd32a3c42dabb#diff-4d3fa7e751e9cac20a3014852be12e82
which
will hopefully be helpful, but I suspect having these in a PR might more
easily track the evolution and feedback.

Overall, I think this is a good approach towards the resolution we
discussed in Cupertino, by providing a 'legacy' compatibility path as well
as a more idiomatic forward path. I'm still apprehensive about encoding the
structured data within the Subject itself, as opposed to an extension,
since it really is a separate hierarchy and structure for expressing that
identity. I think it's reasonable to avoid using QCStatements here, if the
intent is that this scheme is usable outside the qualified certificate
realm (e.g. with GLEIF LEIs), but since you pulled the OID from the
extension space, it seems like we're fairly close to having it as an
extension already. This is especially relevant since 5.1.4 of TS 119 412-1
v.1.2.1 (aka the one with PSD2) uses the qcs semantics ID to
redefine/reinterpret what the identifier should be.

I think we need to vet the ASN.1 module (say, using the 2002 ASN.1 syntax,
aligning with RFC 5912), but that should be doable. It wasn't clear if
you've already performed that, and if so, using what tools.

One area of ambiguity in comparing your proposal against that of 5.1.4 of
119 412-1 is that in between the country code identifier you introduced an
(optional) stateOrProvince identifier. This extension certainly highlights
the ambiguity that lead to my original suggestion of structured data; that
is, an identifier of "NTRUS-CA-12345678" is ambiguous as to whether it's an
NTR identifier in (ISO 3166 code of US, subdivision of CA, identifier
12345678) or (ISO 3166 code of US, identifier CA-12345678). In this regard,
TS 119 412-1 is less ambiguous.

I also want to highlight one significant difference, which I think is a
structurally significant improvement, which is that this ballot would
preclude "Option 4" from Section 5.1.4 TS 119 412-1; namely, the use of a
locally defined two character prefix (followed by colon), along with the
use of a nameRegistrationAuthorities in the SemanticsInformation of RFC
3739 that is qualified by the uniformResourceIdentifier. I think if we
wanted to allow that degree of extensibility, then this MUST NOT be present
in the Subject, and instead should be moved to an extension, which I think
is the thing that this ballot is trying to avoid. Put differently, if our
ETSI colleagues feel that such an option is an important and necessary
aspect of 5.1.4, I don't think it's compatible with the principles of
placing it in the organizationIdentifier for an EV certificate.