[Servercert-wg] Final Minutes for Server Certificate Working Group Teleconference - November 14 2019

Dimitris Zacharopoulos (HARICA) dzacharo at harica.gr
Thu Dec 12 15:24:08 MST 2019

These are the final Minutes of the Teleconference described in the 
subject of this message.

    Attendees (in alphabetical order)

Adam Clark (Visa), Ben Wilson (Digicert), Chris Kemmerer (SSL.com), 
Daniela Hood (GoDaddy), Dean Coclin (Digicert), Dimitris Zacharopoulos 
(HARICA), Dustin Hollenback (Microsoft), Eva Vansteenberge (GlobalSign), 
Huo Haitao (Halton) (360 Browser), Inaba Atsushi (GlobalSign), Janet 
Hines (SecureTrust), Joanna Fox (GoDaddy), Jos Purvis (Cisco Systems), 
Kirk Hall (Entrust Datacard), Li-Chun Chen (Chunghwa Telecom), Mads 
Henriksveen (Buypass AS), Michelle Coon (OATI), Mike Reilly (Microsoft), 
Neil Dunbar (TrustCor Systems), Niko Carpenter (SecureTrust), Peter 
Miskovic (Disig), Rich Smith (Sectigo), Robin Alden (Sectigo), Ryan 
Sleevi (Google), Scott Rea (Dark Matter), Shelley Brewer (Digicert), Tim 
Hollebeek (Digicert), Timo Schmitt (SwissSign), Tobias Josefowitz (Opera 
Software AS), Trevoli Ponds-White (Amazon), Vincent Lynch (Digicert), 
Wayne Thayer (Mozilla), Wendy Brown (US Federal PKI Management Authority).


      1. Roll Call

The Chair took attendance.

      2. Read Antitrust Statement

The Antitrust Statement was read.

      3. Review Agenda

Ben Wilson proposed to add the default-deny discussion to the agenda.

      4. Discuss Action Items from the recent F2F 48 meeting

The following action items were identified from the currently-submitted 
session minutes. This list will be more comprehensive as more minutes 
are being submitted.

Default allow-deny discussion:

- Ben has drafted the minutes and will post them to the wiki.

ETSI presentation:
- Arno to follow-up with the IETF liaison from ETSI to ask about 
possible incompatibilities with RFC 5280 for removing subjectDN 
attribute limits in EN 319 412-2&3.

More intuitive method of displaying secure sites to internet users
- Ryan was to provide details on which SDOs are working on organization 
identity and organization identity presentation issues. Ryan has already 
provided this information to the public list so this action item is 
complete. Further discussion is expected to take place on the public list.

      5. Ballot Status

No further discussion.

        _Ballots in Discussion Period_

_*Ballots in Voting Period*_

_*Ballots in Review Period*_

        _Draft Ballots under Consideration_

/SC20 Ballot (NSR 2): System Configuration Management/
No additional comments.

/SC25: Define New HTTP Domain Validation Methods /(Doug)
Tim mentioned that this is a topic for the next validation subcommittee 
call. He expects to address any potential issue about this ballot during 
that call.

/LEI Ballot/ (Tim H.)
Tim expects to prepare this for a vote in the near future to see where 
it stands.

/Aligning the BRs with existing Browser Requirements /(Ryan)
Ryan is still accumulating information from other Browsers. Most 
recently, Apple raised some expectations about compliance to RFC 5280 
and this was timely because a CA recently filed an incident report 
describing violations to RFC 5280. These areas of concern are related to 
various implementations that are reported or expectations captured in 
Browser's Root Program requirements. He will wait for the formatting 
changes ballot to go first and then re-base to the latest BRs so the 
proposed changes are clear against the latest version of the BRs. 
Further feedback from Root Programs is welcomed. Ryan mentioned that 
Microsoft is going through an update that started in October and Wayne 
is working on Mozilla policy 2.7. There are a lot of factors that make 
this task hard to maintain and keep up-to-date and will wait until some 
things settle down (editor's note: I assume in terms of changes in Root 
Program requirements) and put to a ballot.

/Formatting changes to Guidelines /(Jos)
Jos will update the pull request as soon as ballots SC23 and SC24 are 
merged to the master branch and then put to a ballot.

Dimitris reminded Ben and Wayne to review the merge request for SC21 for 
the Network Security Requirements so it can be merged to master. Ryan 
mentioned that he has already created pull requests for SC23 and SC24 
which would make things easier, should the ballots pass.

      6. Any Other Business

Dimitris asked Ben if he wanted to discuss anything more specific to the 
default allow/deny topic.

Ben mentioned that this is a time-sensitive issue and the WG should move 
forward because it creates a lot of doubt and uncertainty in the industry.

Ryan replied that in terms of next steps that came out of the F2F was 
that CAs should be looking through their practices, taking a pessimistic 
view. Whether the WG will create a subcommittee or not, it doesn't block 
a CA from raising issues for discussion. So, for anything that a CA 
considers that there is uncertainty or doubt as to whether the BRs 
permit certain things, it could be raised sooner than later. One of 
Ryan's take-aways from the big part of that particular F2F discussion 
was that a number of Browsers are reading the Baseline Requirements with 
this pessimistic expectation that things that are not listed there are 
prohibited. The opportunity is for CAs to look through their practices 
and identify things that are challenging or problematic. Nothing blocks 
the CAs from discussing these issues in the WG. The idea is if and when 
we have a subcommittee we will have a good starting point.

Mike mentioned that there is no intent to "block everything", but as 
things come up, let's discuss and address them.

Ben reminded that there was a proposal by Doug about the subject name of 
Intermediate CAs and if we need to do a ballot for that, let's proceed 
and make it clear. This goes back to what we discussed at the F2F about 
whether we should tackle each of the pain points that comes up or go 
through the whole document review. He thinks it's a combination of both. 
At this point, it feels like we are in the Kindergarden where we need to 
"raise our hand to go to the bathroom".

Wayne agreed with Ben and mentioned that for the Intermediate CA 
attributes there is clearly and ambiguity in the BRs so there is no 
reason why we should not try to fix that in parallel to proceeding with 
a larger review.

Ryan also agreed to working in parallel and further mentioned that one 
of the reasons he proposed CAs to go through the holistic review was to 
raise problem areas and ambiguities. The goal is to be understanding to 
these problems,  identify ambiguities and discuss options to resolve 
them. He also agrees to tackle individual issues that come up. He 
pointed out that each issue needs to go though the proper thoughtful 
analysis as we do with any other change to the guidelines. For this 
particular topic, it is to articulate the case why we need to add these 
fields into the CA Certificate and what might go wrong. We should 
discuss and try to resolve this issue and not wait for other ambiguities 
to be discovered before we tackle that.

*[To Ben: Please help me out with the minutes between 29:00 - 30:27 
because I can't fully capture what you tried to say]*

Ryan replied that he wasn't sure about Ben's suggestions but he hopes 
it's not to advocate that CAs can issue whatever Intermediate CA names 
based on CA's determination even though we have identified the ambiguity 
and expectations. Flagging issues like this and sharing CA's 
interpretations is helpful to make progress. Transparency is good and a 
CA could bring an issue to the WG saying that when we read the BRs as 
"default allow" we did X and if we read it as "default deny" it might be 
denied, we should resolve this so that the BRs are clear and 
unambiguous. That would be a really positive sign forward. To Ben's 
previous paradigm about the Kindergarder where a child needs to raise 
hand to get permission to go to the bathroom, Ryan confirmed and 
explained that there is a degree to make sure that the broader community 
is clear on what's going on and making sure the CA's risk assessment 
aligns with the community's risk assessment. He gave an example about 
how a number of Root Programs handle CAs that delay the BR mandated 
revocation timelines. So, even though the BRs mandate 5 days for 
revocation, a number of CAs deliberately ignore and violate this 
requirement. Then the expectation is for the CA to file an incident 
report because it is treated as a BR violation, and they have to explain 
and discuss the factors that lead to this violation they are discussing 
the long term mitigations to prevent this. The desired output is the 
same concept of being transparent, sharing these factors that determined 
certain actions, not the CA going on its own, making a determination, 
and the community and the Forum having no visibility that there is 
ambiguity or that the CA made this determination to go forward in spite 
of that ambiguity. He then reiterated that he would like for CAs to come 
forward and say "This may not be allowed, we've noticed this ambiguity 
in the BRs, here's our analysis, here's why we are going forward with 
this and here's what we propose to make the BRs clear". That's how a 
"model citizen" from a CA's behavior would look like.

Kirk commented that he has a different take on this. For the last 14 
years no one interpreted that these documents are "default deny". He 
said that we agreed on creating a subcommittee to examine this topic and 
he recalled some browsers stating that they didn't mean every section to 
be interpreted as default-deny but certain parts. He thought that a 
subcommittee would determine which parts would be identified that should 
be treated as default-deny and once identified and clarified in the text 
that they are should be read as default-deny. He thought that it would 
be a better approach to identify the parts of the guidelines that need 
to be read as "default deny" and added that it would be very helpful if 
the Browsers identified which parts of the BRs and the EVGs they think 
is important to be read as default-deny. For the Issuing CA names, Kirk 
mentioned that for years CAs have added information according to RFC 
5280 and no Browser ever complained before. If the Browsers want to 
limit this information to 3 fields, it would be very helpful if the 
Browsers explained why, and if they are good reasons then we can add 
that to the BRs.

Wayne stated that his understanding of why we are having this 
conversation was that Ben has the concern that forming a subcommittee 
and working through the BRs and deciding on the recommendations would 
take time. In the meantime, CAs would be "stuck" with a lack of guidance 
on some areas that are ambiguous. He re-iterated that nothing forbids us 
from working in parallel and try to resolve ambiguities that are 
identified. He thinks that the ambiguity in the subject field of 
intermediate CAs is not about how this ambiguity should be clarified but 
the fact that it should be clarified because there is a lack of 
agreement on what it means.

Ryan clarified that this is not a change into how we read the BRs that 
when we see a list of requirements, we are reading a list of 
requirements. For the particular issue related to the intermediate CA 
subject field, there was a corresponding discussion on the servercert-wg 
public list and recommended members to review this discussion. From a 
number of browsers there is a desire to provide clarity for CAs but CAs 
need to step up and highlight things that are ambiguous. Then, Browsers 
can clarify how they are looking at these things. We need the 
perspective of CAs. Ryan re-iterated that it is the CAs that have the 
"deliverable" at looking into their practices and highlighting areas 
where they think there is some ambiguity. This is how we can move 
forward and work through this information in a subcommittee to take a 
holistic collaborative look.

Dimitris added that Ben has taken detailed and careful notes from the 
corresponding F2F discussion and the minutes should be posted soon. To 
Kirk's point, Dimitris mentioned that we did say at the F2F that we 
should look at specific and more "critical" sections to read as 
default-deny and put our efforts there, following the process that Ryan 
suggested, and not the entire BRs. He also thinks no one disagrees with 
fixing ambiguities as we have always been doing.

      7. Next call

December 12, 2019 at 11:00 am Eastern Time.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://cabforum.org/pipermail/servercert-wg/attachments/20191213/1b9698fe/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Servercert-wg mailing list