[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]Re: Clarification about EVG 9.2.4

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Thu Dec 5 17:17:54 MST 2019

No disruption intended, Ryan.  I am just suggesting that Google has essentially disqualified itself for any useful ideas on EV certificates and validation by removing the Chrome EV UI.  To me, here is a fitting analogy: A mayor of a town suddenly takes down all the street signs because he thinks they don’t help drivers find their destinations.  Then he shows up at the next street sign manufacturing standards committee with lots of ideas for how street signs should be made…  What’s wrong with this picture?

I have received the following references to other articles that demonstrate that it doesn’t really matter what Google thinks about its actions in removing the EV UI from Chrome. Journalists and experts believe EV is gone.

Extended Validation Certificates are (Really, Really) Dead
https://www.troyhunt.com/extended-validation-certificates-are-really-really-dead/

Extended Validation Certificates are Dead
https://www.troyhunt.com/extended-validation-certificates-are-dead/

Chrome and Firefox Changes Spark the End of EV Certificates
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/chrome-and-firefox-changes-spark-the-end-of-ev-certificates/

Chrome 77 Released With Removed EV Certificate Indicator
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/chrome-77-released-with-removed-ev-certificate-indicator/

Google to bury indicator for Extended Validation certs in Chrome because users barely took notice. Not working as intended, says browser security team. The next version of Google's Chrome web browser, 77, will not indicate whether a site has an EV (Extended Validation) certificate unless the user drills down into the Page Info dialogue.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/08/12/google_chrome_extended_validation_certificates/

EV UI Moving to Page Info
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/HEAD/docs/security/ev-to-page-info.md

CHROME AND FIREFOX REMOVING EV CERTIFICATE INDICATORS
https://duo.com/decipher/chrome-and-firefox-removing-ev-certificate-indicators

Chrome bumps ineffective EV certificates off the omnibar
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2019/09/10/chrome-bumps-ineffective-ev-certificates-off-the-omnibar/

Chrome, Firefox to expunge Extended Validation cert signals
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3431667/chrome-firefox-to-expunge-extended-validation-cert-signals.html

Chrome 77 released with no EV indicators, contact picker, permanent Guest Mode
https://www.zdnet.com/article/chrome-77-released-with-no-ev-indicators-contact-picker-permanent-guest-mode/

Chrome 77 fixes 52 security flaws, removes 'ineffective' green bar EV SSL indicators
https://www.cso.com.au/article/666328/chrome-77-fixes-52-security-flaws-removes-ineffective-green-bar-ev-ssl-indicators/