[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]Re: Clarification about EVG 9.2.4

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Thu Dec 5 12:20:15 MST 2019

It’s interesting to hear you say that Chrome did not remove the EV UI – you did:

“Through our own research as well as a survey of prior academic work, the Chrome Security UX team has determined that the EV UI does not protect users as intended (see Further Reading below). Users do not appear to make secure choices (such as not entering password or credit card information) when the UI is altered or removed, as would be necessary for EV UI to provide meaningful protection,” Google said<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/HEAD/docs/security/ev-to-page-info.md>.

“Further, the EV badge takes up valuable screen real estate, can present actively confusing company names in prominent UI, and interferes with Chrome's product direction towards neutral, rather than positive, display for secure connections. Because of these problems and its limited utility, we believe it belongs better in Page Info.”
https://duo.com/decipher/chrome-and-firefox-removing-ev-certificate-indicators

Google is hostile generally to including identity information in certificates, and is trying to prevent CAs from adding Legal Entity Identifiers (LEIs), www.gleif.org<http://www.gleif.org> upon threat of distrusting any EV certificate that includes a verified LEI, or even distrusting the CA’s own roots.

So at this point, Google has no real legitimacy in any discussion of the EV Guideline rules for confirming corporate registration data that goes into certificates.