[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC22: Reduce Certificate Lifetimes

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Mon Aug 19 19:16:57 MST 2019

The ballot was sent out with a link to the ballot and the blog post.  The survey was not conducted double-blind or anything like that as it was intended to give a feel for where customers are at. Even if a rough metric, at least it is "some" metric for how the change will be viewed.

As Tobi mentioned, people probably aren't surprised by the results, and I doubt they would change much regardless of how we actually did the survey.  I thought it was pretty common/obvious that larger companies often do not deploy certificate automation and favor long lived certificates.  The survey gave directionally the magnitude of upsetness.

Although we recognize the comments from the survey may not be actionable for some members, they are interesting to read so summarizing them is still probably worth the effort of sharing where people are at in their thinking.