[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC17 version 3: Alternative registration numbers for EU certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Apr 8 06:51:51 MST 2019

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 9:42 AM Tomas Gustavsson via Servercert-wg <
servercert-wg at cabforum.org> wrote:

> Is it possible to have the optional element last? To keep things as easy
> to understand for laymen as possible. Since it's a new field with a
> sequence the order should not matter.

I'm... not really sure I follow that suggestion. Could you help me
understand how it would help? Positioning the optional field last, if
anything, seems to encourage implementations to do the very thing they
shouldn't do - which is rely on context from the outer element when
decoding the inner element. We'd still need it tagged, as the only 'safe'
way to leave it untagged would be to have a non-printable string following.

I may be missing something, though, so I'm hoping you could explain the
benefit?