[Servercert-wg] Results on Ballot 202 – Underscore Character in SANs

Erwann Abalea Erwann.Abalea at docusign.com
Wed Sep 5 11:26:42 MST 2018

Bonjour,

The fact that the linters only emit a warning is not a good reason to accept that practice. The linters don’t define what is allowed or not, they are coded based on a combination of what is acceptable, unacceptable, tolerated, bad-practice-but-used-in-the-field, etc.

Underscores in hostnames are equivalent to putting the FQDN of a web server in the CN attribute. A bad practice coming from pre-2K.

Technically, it seems that IE drops cookies coming from hostnames containing underscores since 2009, and a recent Apache no longer recognises a ServerName containing an underscore, just to name a few.

That limitation to LDH-only for hostnames was defined by RFC1034, slightly modified by RFC1123, accepted in RFC2296 and RFC3986 for the definition of the « host » in an URI, kept in RFC2616 and RFC7540 (HTTP 1/1 and HTTP/2), kept in RFC2821 and RFC5321 (SMTP), repeated in X.509 (even edition 8, which refers to RFC5890 clause 2.3.1), and RFC2782 (SRV records) added the underscore precisely to avoid collisions with hostnames, ...

Cordialement,
Erwann Abalea