[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]Re: [cabf_validation] Underscores, DNSNames, and SRVNames

Gordon Bock gbock at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 26 21:38:14 MST 2018

While we can certainly debate on how complete the corpus is for the CT logs, our objection is based on the > 600 organizations which are returned in existing telemetry which have “_”’s in the SANs.  While we agree that conformity is an issue, we believe it should addressed in a manner that minimizes impact to corporations, governments, and public institutions.  Using our CA’s to enforce conformity is a disruptive approach to conformity.  On this topic the practical costs outweighs the theoretical benefit.  These costs neither Microsoft nor Google would need to bear.  A less disruptive approach would be through browser enforcement.  Many organizations who leverage “_”’s have likely operated for many, many years using systems that involve distributed “fat” clients that have nothing to do with a web browser.  In these cases there is a high cost of implementing this change.

Unfortunately Microsoft did not vote on Ballot 202 last year due to changes in our organization, however thank you Ryan for co-signing on that initiative which would have alleviated this issue.

-Gordon