[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]Re: [cabf_validation] Underscores, DNSNames, and SRVNames

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com
Fri Oct 26 11:06:29 MST 2018

Hi Wayne,

We support the deprecation of underscore certificates. In fact, our plan will be to revoke all underscore certificates with more than 30 days validity on the proposed date of 15 January 2019 and discontinue issuance of underscore certificates on the same date.

However, we do feel that the schedule is very aggressive to allow CAs to ban the use of underscores, communication with Subscribers and allow Subscribers time to change domain names or policies to allow wildcard certificates. Further, we feel that the 30 day certificate will not be useful to our Subscribers and do not plan to implement this requirement.

We would request that the date of 15 January 2019 be moved out to 31 March 2019. This will allow for better response to the requirement of deprecating underscore certificates and still meet your full implementation deadline of 30 April 2019.

Thanks, Bruce.