[Servercert-wg] [cabf_validation] Underscores, DNSNames, and SRVNames

Richard Smith rich at comodoca.com
Wed Oct 24 12:26:35 MST 2018

As has been stated, after the failure of Ballot 202 IMO no CA which was a member of this Forum at that time has a reasonable defense to have continued issuing such certificates.  If there are CAs which are NOT members of this Forum MAYBE they have a leg to stand on.

At this point the only defensible ballot IMO is one which clearly states that issuing certificates with underscores in the DNSname is not allowed, and takes immediate effect upon passage.  The one allowance I would make for subscriber pain is to allow 180 days before revocation of the existing ones, but I do not support allowing any additional issuance even for those which are due to expire in a shorter timeframe.

Regards,

Rich