[Servercert-wg] [cabf_validation] Underscores, DNSNames, and SRVNames

Phillip philliph at comodo.com
Mon Oct 22 21:44:53 MST 2018

This is hardly going to be a productive discussion when you simply ignore the fact that the document I referenced, RFC 5507 was written by the IAB. It sets out precisely the architectural approach that I stated had been insisted on by the DNS community at that time. The claim that you stated was ‘ahistorical’.

I am really not interested in playing the game where you ignore the evidence I provide and demand more.

I do not see the passage you cite as supporting the case you are attempting to make here. The question of SRV records is not explicitly addressed in RFC5280 which is hardly surprising as the use of prefixed labels was deprecated by the IAB until the release of RFC 6335 in 2011 effectively acknowledged that it was the preferred means of designating services superseding the use of port numbers.

The passage you quote explicitly calls out email addresses but does not consider prefixed records. If there had been an intention to exclude prefixed records from SANs then one would expect them to be treated in the same way.

I really don’t think we need to go into a hermeneutical exegesis or RFC 5032 since regardless of what the intent was when it was written, at the time it was written, the architectural approach described in RFC5507 was considered to be the consensus view of the IETF. RFC 6335 reversed those conclusions and represents the current view.

Like I said earlier, rather than argue about what the IETF intended in decades past, let’s ask them what they think the approach should be now.

I really don’t care about certificates for example_broken.com. But a dozen of those certs are certs for Jabber servers which are using _xmpp or CISCO equivalent prefixes. Those are services that should be protected by the WebPKI.