[Servercert-wg] [EXTERNAL]Re: Proposal to address ballot effective date problem

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Wed Oct 17 19:20:51 MST 2018

I do indeed have the concerns you mentioned about batching, especially with regards to permissive ballots (and clarifications).

I would hope the rules would take that into account, for example, by allowing compliance as early as the effective date, and mandating compliance by the next scheduled publication date.  This would automatically create a transition period for each ballot, without having to explicitly encode it.  The length of the transition would vary, but I think that could be managed.

Operationalizing that, if it turns out to be the direction we want to go, might be hard.

I tend to think that a simpler solution along the lines we discussed, like a X day window after effective date to comply, is better.  And easier to put into effect in the short term.  Though scheduled updates are attractive, longer term, if we can figure them out.

Another advantage to scheduled updates is that it is easier to automatically avoid holidays, blackout periods, and so on.  That’s an issue that we’ve had several times before, for example, I remember discussing it with you extensively in Bilbao.

-Tim