[Servercert-wg] Ballot SC 13 version 3

Tim Hollebeek tim.hollebeek at digicert.com
Tue Nov 27 10:09:41 MST 2018

I think all of the talk about recursion just confuses the issue, and there is nothing in the current BRs or ballot that suggests that search algorithms or redirects that happen during validation have anything to do with ADN selection, or that they can cause the ADN to change.  So I don’t see much value in further delaying the ballot to address an interpretation that is clearly wrong and unsupported by any text in the BRs or the ballot.  The current text is pretty clear about how ADNs are chosen, and that validation must start at the ADN.

Also I’m less pessimistic than you that most of the infrastructure, code, and solutions for CT could be re-used successfully for CMT, and most of the trans people I’ve talked to are similarly optimistic.  DigiCert might unilaterally start disclosing information that is useful to the community in this manner in the future.

And I didn’t mean to ignore 5, I was just trying to reach a conclusion on CAA first.  Though I think 5 is much simpler.  There’s no search algorithm, you just look for the TXT record on the ADN you pick to validate, which may be the FQDN or a parent.

-Tim